Thread: Safe Mode

Plugin Contributions

Default Safe Mode

is there any way of installing zen cart with safe mode ON ???? any patch ???

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Safe Mode

There is one for-sure patch: Turn off safe-mode.

Keep in mind that future versions of PHP will *not* even include a safe-mode ... because it's a weak bandage giving a false sense of security to hosts who don't otherwise know how to properly secure their servers.

This begs the question: why? ie: why would you want to run your online business on a server that's got to use safe-mode in order to think they're securing the server?

I'm not trying to badmouth your server administrator; rather I'm attempting to strongly make the point that unless safe-mode is being used for a very specific reason for which there is no other solution (an unlikely situation), it shouldn't be used. And, if it is being used, you shouldn't run your business there, because there will be other security issues to which you'll be vulnerable but never have a clue about it until disaster strikes, because the big picture of security protection has been poorly implemented.

That said, Zen Cart will install and run even if Safe Mode is active; however, you run the risk of certain features not working with or without notice, and the unexpected appearance of warning or fatal errors while customers are using the site. And then there's the issue of the admin side needing to do various things that safe-mode doesn't like.

So, I guess, in short ... you can do it, but you do so at your own risk.

Maybe that's more than you wanted to hear ... sorry

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

can anyone recommend a good hosting reseller that offers safemode OFF ? thats the whole reason im asking ... i found canaca.com offers hosting for $15.95/mth but Safmode needs to be ON. I want to move my dedicated server somewhere else as im paying 179 cdn/mth and its becoming expensive.

Plugin Contributions

Please make any recommendations via PM.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Several good hosting recommendations, compatible with Zen Cart:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...es&pages_id=10

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.