Plugin Contributions

Default Flat Rate shipping challenge - need a separate rate for a few heavier items

Hi folks, I set up site for a client that wanted a flat rate shipping figure for all products in the cart. No problem here but now there is an entire section that has heavy stuff in it and I need to increase the flat rate shipping on these items only.

How can I sort this out. I don't have weight for items so I can't just use UPS or something to sort it out.
    So, how can I change the shipping on about 10 specific items, or change it on an entire category.

thanks,
    Nigel

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Flat Rate shipping challenge - need a separate rate for a few heavier items

If a customer buys exclusively from this group heavy of products, then what should happen on the shipping cost?

If a customer were to buy from this group of heavy products and some of the other products, not in this group, what should happen on the shipping costs?

Are all of the heavy products in a specific category? Are you using Linked Products? If so, do each of the heavy group products use the same master_categories_id?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Flat Rate shipping challenge - need a separate rate for a few heavier items

If a customer buys exclusively from this group heavy of products, then what should happen on the shipping cost?

Shipping is 8 dollars per item, but in the heavy section it should be $25 dollars. So if they only purchased heavy stuff it would be 25 dollars a piece.

If a customer were to buy from this group of heavy products and some of the other products, not in this group, what should happen on the shipping costs?

Still per item, some stuff is 8 dollars, and some cost 25 per item

Are all of the heavy products in a specific category? Are you using Linked Products? If so, do each of the heavy group products use the same master_categories_id?

Yes, all items in question are in the same category. they are not linked products. For reference.. http://www.useofforcegear.com/index....index&cPath=29

We are talking about Bobs, targets, etc. I can move the keychains into a general category if need be.

thanks for your time,
    Nigel

Plugin Contributions

Sorry, I could not edit my post(unless I am blind lol).

Is it possible to add a handling fee perhaps to these items only? I would prefer not to simply build in the additional costs into the product costs.

sorry for the bump,
    Nigel

Plugin Contributions

If all of your products have a shipping charge of either $8.00 each or $25.00 each, I think you can use the Per Weight Unit shipping module.

In that module the weight of the Product is used to determin the shipping costs.

Set the weight to 25 and the product ships for $25.00 each. If the weight is 8, then the product ships for $8.00 each.

You will also need to change the shipping settings in the configuration from the maximum amount of 50 to something much higher, as the weight now means dollars rather than pounds and you should probably zero out the Tare weights too.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your time, I will give that a whirl.

Nigel

Plugin Contributions

That worked like a champ thanks alot. My only problem is I need to remove the weight from the product page here for example http://www.useofforcegear.com/index....roducts_id=125

how can I remove shipping weight 8lbs this is now a completely arbitrary figure and not what it weighs.

I am using the free_blue template.

thanks folks,
    Nigel

Plugin Contributions

Hi all,

Ive been reading all over the tutorials and FAQ's and Im still stuck with a shipping prob. similar to what they are trying to do in this thread. I have certain items that have to be charged for shipping, and the rest is drop shipped for free.

I activated the perunit shipping module, went into the items that needed to be charged shipping, and entered the appropriate amount under their weight. However, after all that, it still is coming up a 0.00 shipping in the cart. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dana

Plugin Contributions

I had to
    1. activate perunitwieght shipping
    2. go to configuration>shipping and packaging and set your tare to 0:0 so it doesn't do any sort of calculation
    3. On that same screen as #2 change maximum weight you can ship to something big like 5000

hope that helps, if not, I may have time to poke around your site for you. That should work though.

Nigel

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the ideas Nigel...

I tried and still had no success! I have the peritemunit and free shipping activated so far. Maybe thats part of my problem!