Plugin Contributions

Default Waiting for my site to be transferred can I start working on my cart now?

Hi - I am using IMH (In Motion Hosting) and there was a glitch in the transfer of the site - so I am waiting for it to transfer - but it will be 5-14 days I'm told. I've used the Fantastico program or platform to install the ZenCart on my account - but I'm unable to get to a place where I can work on the cart before I publish my site - is there a way to do this?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Waiting for my site to be transferred can I start working on my cart now?

That would depend on your web host. Most will provide you with a temporary URL or an IP address for the server and an account name which together give your external access to your web space. But the specifics of how it works on their server, you would need to get from them.

Then when your permanent domain name is transferred, you can change the includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php to reflect the permanent name.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Waiting for my site to be transferred can I start working on my cart now?

Right - I understand about the external access I have to my site (temporary url) for my hosting service, however, since Zen Cart is an "add on" to that site - I can choose to either use Zen Cart for my store or their web building software and use just the basic checkout they have in the web builder. I chose to just go with Zen Cart - and in order to be able to build my Zen Cart, I have to be able to log in somewhere to do that - and I can't do that without a way to log in to zen cart - unless there is a "work around" solution from within my server - which I was told there wasn't. So - is there a way to log in to zen cart on my server (ie: www.mytemporaryurl.com/zencart/admin) or something like that?

I have tried that - but don't get any luck with that really - unless there's a different way to get to that. I was hoping there would be a way to get to my site for the zen cart so i could get this up and running as soon as the transfer is complete.

Plugin Contributions

Having to wait 5 - 14 days for a site transfer should be an unacceptable situation for you or anybody. As a Hoster, I cannot see any reason to take that long. Something is wrong somewhere because it can be done in less than 24 hours; does not include propagation time though.

As to working on your site, best to wait until things are sorted out so you can work with your current database; presuming you previously had Zen Cart installed. For now it would be best to get your Content & Images together on your Computer so they are ready to upload, when you can do so.

Plugin Contributions

I don't see why it should take that long either. You should be able to use the temporary information provided by your new hosting to work on your Zen Cart.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

TO: All those who helped me through this thread

Thanks for all your help - I'm much more enlightened now than I was when I panicked and wrote the original post. I have also successfully (apparently) got my site up and running, but am trying to "tweak" it a little - with regard to messages, font size, color etc. (most of which is way more difficult than using html to change - as you would on ebay or something - but all is a learning experience). Thanks to all of you for your help - what an asset to the ZC forum to have such wonderful helpers available and patient enough to help even the stupid newbies like me who panick first, and then re-read everything!

Take care and God bless - and keep up with the great work!

Sara

PS: I'm sure I'll be posting on another topic soon - when I can't figure the next little cirsis out - but I promise to really exhaust the help files first this time!