Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default zc_install doesnt recognize my 1.3.8 database during upgrade (specific languages)

I have ZC 1.3.8a installed with DB_VERSION=1.3.8 (fresh install for demo purposes)

If i run "zc_install/index.php?main_page=inspect" like for doing an upgrade, the system recognize a db_version of 1.3.0.2 only.

Seems that "zc_install\includes\classes\class.installer_version_manager.php" finds "sort_order=115" in "configuration where configuration_key='SHOW_ACCOUNT_LINKS_ON_SITE_MAP'".

This condition is also true for 1.3.8 and the system cannot differentiate them.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: zc_install doesnt recognize my 1.3.8 database

I can't replicate that problem on a fresh 1.3.8a install without addons.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, you are right what you said, but I see the pb.
    Ive checked again with my ZC (Full French 1.3.8a) and the original 1.3.8a (English version)

French 1.3.8a gives a DB_VERSION of 1.3.0.2 (false), English 1.3.8a gives 1.3.8 (correct)

Problem comes from the translation of 'zc_install\sql\mysql_zencart.sql' in French, to have an admin comprehensible for all our merchants. In 'zc_install\includes\classes\class.installer_version_manager.php', the functions 'check_version_XXX()'
    were all refering to NUMBERS up to the 1302(). Then the comparison is done with 'configuration_title' (in English words)
    which cannot be found in our version (French words). So it returns always false for 'check_version_XXX()' > 1302.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

"configuration_title" is a field inside the database, and should not be translated.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

So, what the langage packs are for if the admin cannot be translated ? Its the comparison which should not have been done against something variable and langage dependant.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Feel free to translate language files located under the /includes/languages folder.
    But don't go translating the core SQL code or you're naturally going to have problems.

Plugin Contributions

The Polish Language Pack (v 1.3.7 - ZenCart.pl Group) and Italian Group (http://www.zencart-italia.it/) at least are in the same case as us as they have translated 'zc_install\sql\mysql_zencart.sql'.

Some of our merchants doesnt understand English very well and have difficulties on very small problems. Thats why a full translation had been done (long work).

Plugin Contributions

The issue here is compatibility between LABELS in the code and TABLES in the database.

You can call a database table anything you like (conforming of course to MySQL protocols).

Then you just need to make sure that references in the php (or other) code accurately use that table name.

But you should have no need to alter table names or code. You just need to alter the define constants for language descriptives.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I just say bad tests are done relying on langage dependant text inside TABLE_CONFIGURE to determine DB_VERSION. Nobody had been advised NOT to change English text in TABLE_CONFIGURE for localisation, and having so many options in English make merchants lost.

I think it was more simple to have the functions check_version_XXX() of 'zc_install\includes\classes\class.installer_version_manager.php' look directly in TABLE_PRODUCT_VERSION_HISTORY for the db-updates that have occured.

Making 1 or 2 checks in TABLE_CONFIGURATION does not mean
    the last update has completely performed. Any SQL upgrade script can fail between its begin (update/insert into TABLE_CONFIGURATION) and
    its end (upadte/insert into TABLE_PRODUCT_VERSION_HISTORY), so that you could have TABLE_CONFIGURATION up-to-date but not the others tables comming after.

Suppose a SQL failure, as it is, zc_install would find with check_version_XXX() that the last update has occured (but not completely in reality).
    Last edited by gob33; 20 Nov 2009 at 04:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

gob33, while I understand what you're saying, all your arguments are moot if whoever has translated the SQL code actually changed the database FIELD names.
    If you want to translate descriptive text, feel free. But leave the underlying architecture alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast