Plugin Contributions

Default Query reduction for speed gain on some slow top-level categories?

My store has around 30k categories and about 150k products in it. While general performance is good (1-3 seconds per click), certain clicks from the top level generate HUGE queries (38k to be exact) that take way too long to load.

I understand 1.39 or 1.40 will have substantial improvements in the code to load them. So two quick questions:

1. Is there an estimated release timeframe for the improved version?

2. Is there anything I can do in the interim to remediate these queries? I'm still a tad confused why the categories click ends up doing so much work...

Mods i have are:

1. Multisite (with cat filter disabled)
    2. Better categories (not necessary)
    3. Dual pricing

Thanks a million (or 38,000)...

CHris

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Query reduction for speed gain on some slow top-level categories?

Some things which may help reduce some of the query burden:

In Admin->Configuration->Attribute Settings, there are a few switches which, if turned off, will reduce the number of queries used to calculate and display product information:
    - Enable Downloads -- If you're not doing downloads on your site, turn this off.
    - Enable Price Factor -- If you're not using price-by-attributes support, turn this off to stop those calculations and the related queries
    - Enable Qty Price Discount -- If you're not doing quantity discounts, turn this off
    - Enable Attribute Images -- If you're not adding images to your attributes, turn this off
    - Enable Text Pricing by word or letter -- If you're not offering text attributes which calculate per-word or per-letter, turn this off.

You may have already done this one:
    If you're not needing the numbers of subcategories to show next to a given category name, turn of Category Counts in Admin->Configuration->My Store->Show Category Counts

Some of these have just been added to an existing FAQ: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=21

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, I have this a shot but it didn't affect my query count measurably.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Plugin Contributions

WAHOOO! I solved it!

I turned off featured and sale items off the front page... Queries went from 38,000 to 500!!!!

Yes! Swish! Slam Dunk! Touchdown!

(as you might imagine, this response time thing was a major concern with our launch.)