Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default ZC program flow and logic

I have sifted through a couple of previous posts and never really quite found the answer(s) I have been looking for. I was wondering if there is (even a basic) chart of the program flow of ZC operation on how things work if one wanted to learn how to code in PHP.

For example, what happens and what is loaded when a person goes to the home page of a site and in what order do those things load. Sure, you can look at the pages source and get a starting point (and I have seen on the wiki mention of the application.php part) but these things really do not help a "newb" learn the basic mechanics of the ZC world.

I am taking a couple of basic programming classes for school right now and I would like to be principle and theory into practice. Any help pointing to documentation or posts not on the wiki (or even adding that information) to the wiki would be very helpful.

Also if people were to learn the mechanics on how much of the program worked imagine over time the lead developers would actually get time to work on the things they want or need to get done.

tia

0be1
    "Give me one hundred preachers who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I care not whether they be clergymen or laymen, they alone will shake the gates of Hell and set up the kingdom of Heaven upon Earth." - John Wesley

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ZC program flow and logic

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Dr. Byte;

I already have that as well and that did not help me understand much either. There has to be some way for a person who has a little experience in the way of programming to be able to step into (certain parts) of the ZC world and learn about program flow and mechanics.

Thank you for the reply though. Also I am not sure how much this document has changed up to version 1.3.8. Is there anyone on the design team assigned to documentation?

thanks again for your reply (promptly too!! )

Sincerely,

0be1
    "Give me one hundred preachers who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I care not whether they be clergymen or laymen, they alone will shake the gates of Hell and set up the kingdom of Heaven upon Earth." - John Wesley

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The concepts outlined in that document have not changed largely from 136 to 138.
    That document was written to provide a high-level overview of how the procedural code flows on every click.
    It's not really a programmer's guide, although I have often referred to it for a quick-check when debugging where certain things might be going wrong in someone's custom coding etc.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

<rant>
    I actually bought the book Zen Cart and the art of ecommerce and it was Great for setting up the site and configuring sales taxes and products, but like with many users I was not satisfied with the templates, so I started creating my own.
    I'm still not there

I would be willing to pay twice as much for a book that took you from the basics of php, limited to what is used in the site, followed by a description of what does what and when. Even a software decision tree, flow chart or logic diagram.
    I get that the pages are asembled on the fly, from information obtained in a step by step fashion, but when I look at the source code on a delivered page, I have no idea of how it was assembled. This makes it hard to troubleshoot.
    Using the web developers add on for FireFox has been a godsend in determining what comes from css and other stuff.

Of course a book like that would put developers out of work ( I really doubt that) but it would make some guru a ton of cash , and free up a lot of space on this board.

</rant>

Plugin Contributions

http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.php/Pages

This is a great companion piece to the troubleshooting guide. It explains the flow a little bit better.

Still haven't figured out how the forms are generated, ie for the multiple products vs a single product, and a bunch more I'm sure.

Plugin Contributions

did you ever find what you are looking for?

Plugin Contributions

Wow!

Most important thread on the site. Glad I saw this.
    Jonny
    http://meshgraphics.com Where shapes become different shapes than the shapes they had been previously. Me do good ad copy 2

Plugin Contributions

Does the program flow documentation have a 1.5 version?
    zen-cart-v1.3.9h

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

For the most part things are pretty much the same overall flow, with the occasional added feature being loaded/instantiated, etc.
    Is there something specific that you feel is missing, or some specific piece of information you're looking for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast