Plugin Contributions

Default Parse error: syntax error unexpected T_STRING - customizing my template

Hello,
    I'm trying to customize my new ZenCart and because I'm not too savvy on computer stuff I'm lost at this moment. Here's what I did and what resulted. Went to my hosting server. Control center - opened ZenCart/includes/templates and followed the directions on page 273 on the ZenCart book. I copied and created the magic directory. I then went to my ZenCart admin and clicked on tools template selection and it gave me a Parse error: syntax error unexpected T_STRING etc. on line 14. I would like up upload the purple lily template to use as my base template to customize. I don't understand how to do this or how to fix the sample I input from the book. I do have an FTP uploader. Thanks for any help!! Patty

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Parse error: syntax error unexpected T_STRING - customizing my template

That error message is most likely due to a problem with the way your changes are being made to the file(s). Refer to "Characters with Special Meanings in HTML and PHP" section in the book and make sure you do not make any mistakes as highlighted there.

If you are still not sure what is causing the problem, post the complete error message here so we can try to narrow down the problem.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Parse error: syntax error unexpected T_STRING - customizing my template

When I go into my hosting server and open my files per way I did to originally change it, I'm not able to get the same code. I called my hosting server and they told me I needed to change the files on my computer then upload those to my ZenCart files on the server. Is that the correct way of doing this? Thank You, Patty

Plugin Contributions

It is always best to keep a copy of your files on your computer, use a good TEXT Editor to make changes, then load the changes to the server ...

You never want to make changes using your server software or you will be doomed ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

I was able to go in to the file editor on my server and try to fix it. I'm still having problems. Here is the Parse error and the info I have in my code. Thanks, Patty

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/content/a/f/f/affairheart/html/zencart/includes/templates/template_info.php on line 14

<?php
    /**
    * Template Information File
    * @package templateSystem
    * @copyright Copyright 2003-2006 Zen Cart Development Team
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce
    * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
    * @version $Id: template_info.php 4226 2006-08-24 02:23:25Z drbyte $
    */
    $template_name = 'Magic Template';
    $template_version = 'Version 1.0';
    $template_author = 'Store Owner - Patricia Roth;
    $template_description = 'Custom template for testing purposes.';
    $template_screenshot = 'scr_template_default.jpg';
    ?>

Plugin Contributions

Stop using your server to edit your files ... that is the worst way to make changes and will lead to all kinds of problems ...

This line:
    PHP Code:
    $template_author 'Store Owner - Patricia Roth; 
    is missing a quote on the end:
    PHP Code:
    $template_author 'Store Owner - Patricia Roth'
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks!! I was able to fix it. Patty