Plugin Contributions

Default Slow website ? How do i optimise the speed ? %%

I have a slow website...

I know that my pictures are art of the reason why it may be slow,they are not very big though and when i compare with many other website that have larger pictures and more of them also,those sites load instantly i dont understand why my site is sooooo slooooooow....

Basically ,anyone that has a tip or trick to make my site and other peoples site faster is welcome to share his or her opinion.

thank you for your help :-))

See for yourself :

www.theancientartgallery.com

Taag

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Slow website ? How do i optimise the speed ? %%

Quote Originally Posted by taag View Post
    I know that my pictures are art of the reason
    I would hazard a guess they are the reason. 1.2mb for one of your homepage images alone. I recommend the Image Handler 2 contribution.

Plugin Contributions

You have over a MEGABYTE for that page - there are no excuses for not optimizing your images first.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your input,i installed IH2 but it messed up my site.......cant i just use an option in my ADMIN panel for the pictures,such as make them smaller in pixel size?

I use photoshop ,can i use that program to reduce the size of the pictures ? what would be the best way to do that ? they are JPG right now,how about BMP ?

Thanks,
    Taag

Plugin Contributions

Also,When you clcik on an additional picture on the site they come up as very large ,i have a 20" screen and they are sometimes bigger than my screen,i need to scroll....where do i go to reduce the size of those images and what do you recomment that i choose?

Thanks,
    Taag

Plugin Contributions

You can use photoshop, google will return tons of tutorials on how to optimize image with photoshop.

BTW, If IH2 messed up your site, it's probably because you did something wrong

Regards
    Quote Originally Posted by taag View Post
    Thanks for your input,i installed IH2 but it messed up my site.......cant i just use an option in my ADMIN panel for the pictures,such as make them smaller in pixel size?

I use photoshop ,can i use that program to reduce the size of the pictures ? what would be the best way to do that ? they are JPG right now,how about BMP ?

Thanks,
    Taag
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

The size settings in the admin>configuration>images are for display of the images, but your are still sending the huge image to the users browser and telling them to display it at the size you set, which makes the browser do the work, makes the images load slow, and when squeezed down by the browser look crappy.

and don't use BMP, those files are even larger than jpg......stick with jpg
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your tip barco57,i will have to reload all my images after i optimized them in photoshop.I still dont see in configuration/images where i can modify the output of my product images when i click "larger image" right now i gives me huge pictures that are bigger than my screen.I changed all settings so that they are 100 x 80 or less 75 x 60 but they still come up as large ???

What image size should i use for my pruduct images ? i read the optimisation guide that Drbyte suggested but im not sure what size to choose,i dont want the pictures to be too small nor do i want to slow down my site with large pictures...

Thanks,
    Taag

Plugin Contributions

Have a look at www.kidsavenue.ch/zencart
    A specific Javascript for Photoshop will be generated based on your own parameters. The script will re-size, re-name and optimize your product images automatically
    Script to be launch from Photoshop.
    Have a try and let me know.

Saraniel