Plugin Contributions

Default Made a total mess of things... oops.

We're halfway through setting up a shop and we've not yet officially launched it. However, some guy from another state somehow stumbled across our half-finished shop and put in an order.

Now, we've not yet set up our bank accounts to accept credit card payments, but he paid via credit card...... where has the money gone???

Also, we are still getting organised and he got frustrated and said he wants to cancel his whole order and get a refund. I can't see any way to do this? How can we refund the money and where on earth has it gone?

I'm very confused haha... we have no idea what to do

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Made a total mess of things... oops.

You have mostly enabled the default offline Credit Card module which only collects the customer's credit card information.

No money has changed hands yet as you have not charged the customer's card yet. Therefore, no refunds are needed.

You only need to cancel the customer's order by changing the order status.

For more information on the default Credit Card module setup, refer to this FAQ entry.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

It's a good idea to contact the "customer" by phone and explain what has happened, and that the shop is simply being set up right now. Remind then to check their credit card statement as this will prove no money has been deducted from their card.

Clearly, the customer wants what you have to sell - so don't lose him/her !

Find another way to provide the product, and suggest they send a cheque, or transfer money to your account.

To me, my zenshops are a shop-window as well as being a method to purchase. But good old-fashioned two-way communication also sells products, and afterall, isn't that why you're in business?

Plugin Contributions

Ah, the reason he was cancelling was not due to the payment thing, it was because he ordered a costume from us for Halloween but our supplier has said that it will not be available in time. We're still so unorganised and really not ready to start shipping things out just yet!

Plugin Contributions

You may like to consider disabling the credit card payment modules while you set up.

Rather enable check/moneyorder as this will still allow you to proceed through checkout while you set up and test your shop.

From your initial post, you seem unclear about how credit card payments are processed.

Do you intend to accept credit cards? Do you have a merchant agreement with a bank to clear payments? Or do you still need to set all of this up?

Remember, the credit card module in ZC does NOT process payments - as Goh has said, it sumply collects the CC details for you.

Plugin Contributions

.....I have no idea. My boss has kinda just put me in charge of running this site, I'm a website designer but I've never done anything like this before and I'm confused as hell and she doesn't really know what she's doing with it either, she's just told me to figure it out.

I think I need to do some serious reading!

Plugin Contributions

Okay, first thing is not to panic. This forum is FULL of advice and help.

It is a very good idea for your boss to buy you the Book (see the banner ad above???).

Interestingly, it was written by the chap who first answered your post!

There are also a lot of people who can assist with technical issues - some charge fees, some will give their time for free, or for a small donation.

You may send Private Messages (PM's) to people of this forum if you have issues with stuff that must remain confidential - eg: admin passwords, etc).

Plugin Contributions

Thank you so much for your help, I'm going to spend a few hours browsing the forums today and see if I can get my head around things. When it comes to HTML and CSS and making pretty graphics I'm a pro... but this credit card stuff is like a foreign language to me hehe. I think my boss assumed it was all the same. But oh well, I'm a smart kid, I'll get it figured out! Thanks again :)

Plugin Contributions

Accepting payment off credit cards is best done via a PAYMENT GATEWAY.

A Payment Gateway is a system, usually operated by a BANK, that allows the owner of a website to LINK their checkout procedure to a function in the bank that deducts the payment from the shoppers card, and credits the amount to the shopkeeper.

Think of when you buy groceries.

At the till point, the cashier will take your card, put it into a little machine called an EPOS (Electronic Point Of Sale) or EFTPOS (Electronic Fund Transfer at Point Of Sale).

She then asks you to key in your PIN, and the LCD screen shows that the money has been taken from your account and credited to the shopkeeper's account.

This is the MANUAL equivalent of an online payment gateway.

Online, pretty much the same thing happens. When the shopper reaches your checkout phase and concludes the transaction, the payment details are sent electronically to the clearing bank, who does the same process.

So, taking credit card payments will require SOME FORM of processing through a bank - and this will require an AGREEMENT between the bank (payment gateway) and the shopkeeper.

One of the simplest "Payment Gateways" is PayPal. Google Checkout is another.

In order to use a Payment Gateway with zencart, it is necessary to conclude an agreement with the gateway operator (which could be PayPal, Google Checkout, or your own bankers).

When this agreement is in place, you CONFIGURE your zencart shop to enact the processes, by installing an appropriate Payment Gateway MODULE.