Plugin Contributions

help question Scenarios in which admin password can be "mysteriously" reset?

After the fix_cache_key.php problem was solved last night, I tried to login as admin to my store.

But then I was surprised that the password that worked for me 7 hours earlier, didn't work anymore.

So I reset the password, which was emailed to me promptly, and used it get login (then immediately change the password, of course).

I could have forgotten all about this incident but since this is an important security issue, for which I have no explanation, I am wondering: What could possibly reset the admin password? (you can safely assume that I didn't forget or mistype it).

I looked at the admin activity log and found no evidence that someone else (e.g. a tech at the web host company as part of troubleshooting) could have changed it.

So, what other possibilities are there for resetting the admin password unbeknown to me?

For example, is there a security feature in Zen Cart that makes the password expire if it's older than X days? (similar to the feature that exists in Windows 2000/XP/Vista)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Scenarios in which admin password can be "mysteriously" reset?

Nu such feature. several explanations:
    1. Your server experienced some problem and rolled back to an earlier backup (rarely happens, but it does)
    2. Sometimes, you need to reset your browser cache after fixing cache key.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1912 View Post
    2. Sometimes, you need to reset your browser cache after fixing cache key.
    In my particular case, the above explanation seems the most reasonable (at the moment).

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Scenarios in which admin password can be "mysteriously" reset?

OK - this is becoming a real problem now.

For some reason, in circumstances that I have not yet determined, I must re-send the store admin password in order to be able to log in.

I immediately change it to a different password, of course, but this is becoming a nuisance.

This problem started only since my web host upgraded the server, most noticeably cPanel.

PHP version hasn't changed (5.2.6). MySQL version is 5.0.51a-community (5 months ago it was 5.0.45-community, but I don't know whether this changed only recently or months ago). Apache version is 2.2.10 (5 months ago it was 1.3.41, but I don't know whether this changed only recently or months ago).

Any idea what could be causing this password problem?

Please note, this happens only with Zen Cart, not with any other login facility on my web host account.

Plugin Contributions

There were some problems within cPanel when mySQL 5.0.51a was used. This has been corrected in mySQL 5.0.67. Ask your Hoster to upgrade and make sure the version of WHM/cPanel being used in called CURRENT.

They can always search http://forums.cpanel.net/ if they need more information regarding mySQL & version of WHM/cPanel to be using for mySQL 5.0.67.