Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default DataBase problem after moving site!!!!!!

Hey Dr or anyone else who wishes to chime in! I moved the site from the in-store server to Go Daddy! We are doing some remodeling and brining in a T1 Line and upgrading equipment. So I decided to put it on Go Daddy thru the first of the year. I had the in-store site still on version 1.3.7 on Go Daddy they have the app you install 1.3.8 I installed the app ftp'd the custom folders di a few other things that I needed. I backed up the data base with the modle you ad to zen cart for doing DB backups! I FTP'd it up to the site. I have no customer inforamtion or any other info for that matter as well as my catalog is not their! Also none of the catagories or catalog is on the site as well????? I really have no thought? What did I do wrong?

www.petestown.com is the go daddy site

www.petesboots.org is still pointed to the old server and working that is how it should look!

Rich

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help Dr Byte LOL DataBase problem!!!!!!

Did you follow the step-by-step guide in the FAQ? If so, at which step did you first notice a problem and what was it?

You seem to be saying that you've used some utility on your goDaddy control panel to upgrade your site. If so, that sounds like a bad idea. How did you upgrade the database?

Have you looked at the database in phpMyAdmin or whatever facility goDaddy makes available. If so, are the products and categories in their respective tables?
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: DataBase problem after moving site!!!!!!

As kuroi mentioned, you would be best advised to follow the step-by-step FAQ on moving your site to another server.
    Also as kuroi mentioned, it's unwise to do an upgrade mid-stream whilst moving from one server to another. Better to stick with the same version until it's running on the destination side. Then do an upgrade after it's confirmed to be working. And NEVER use an automated upgrade script for handling your PHP files. Always do that by hand.

I'll interject that choosing GoDaddy may or may not be the best choice for hosting. You'll find much discussion about its limitations on various parts of the forum.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Well the problem is you have to goto there apps and install the latest version of the cart which is 1.3.8 it also asks for tall the info and creates you a data base! Would it help if I upgraded to 1.3.8 on the old server first the backed up the data base and FTP'd it? So as far as following the step by step with them its like doing a new install so I did not really have a choice. As you can see everything else worked fine!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You don't "have to" use their app-installer. All the setup steps can be done manually using FTP and their hosting control panel (for database setup), etc.

If you want to upgrade your site first, that's fine. The key is: if it's broken after moving, and you're comparing apples-with-apples, then you have a better chance of figuring out what might have caused the problem. If you're mixing apples-and-oranges, then sorry, you're on your own to sort out what you've busted.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Well yes I agree with that Doc no doubt. When I first did this I did not even know they offered the app LOL. I FTP'd all my stuff up their. But it would not start because you have to make some changes in the admin config file! You can not restart their server so how do you get config changes to take affect. THEY told me use their app it loads the latest version which I did. They had me restore the database I FTP'd up over the one it creates when loading the new app! Everything is working fine except the DATABASE LOL! So the 64 million dollar question is whay its not pointing properly which they have not been able to answer. WORLD CLASS SUPPORT is what they advertise

Plugin Contributions

OK so whats the differance in restoring vs importing?

Plugin Contributions

Semantically, restoring implies putting something back (e.g. from a backup), while importing implies the loading of new information.

In your case either would be applicable depending upon whether you view your goDaddy site as a simple copy of the old one or a new entity in its own right.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by PetesTown View Post
    Everything is working fine except the DATABASE LOL! So the 64 million dollar question is whay its not pointing properly which they have not been able to answer.
    You're probably using different table-prefixes between your imported data and their quick-click-install data.
    Your DB_PREFIX settings in the configure.php files on the new server need to match the DB_PREFIX from the old server.

From the FAQ referenced earlier:
    (when asked about the database-table-prefix during Database-Setup, use the same prefix that your old store uses)
    And, once you've switched the prefixes, you'll want to go and delete all the tables they installed with the wrong prefix ... or else you'll have a bloated database with doubles of everything and one day you'll get confused by things not working because you used the wrong set of tables in the same database.

Quote Originally Posted by PetesTown View Post
    WORLD CLASS SUPPORT is what they advertise
    They advertise a lot of things. In fact, that's mostly what they do: Advertise.

Plugin Contributions

Ok Thank's to both of you! I have tried a couple of diffrent things today! I will look at those issues in the morning and report back! I am determined to make this work LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast