Plugin Contributions

Default Install issues, wondering if this can be done

Hi,

I have a production store V1.37 installed on my server. I was thinking on doing a face lift and modifying the looks of the store, but I do not want to mess up the production version (ZC1).

Instead I was thinking of installing the V1.38 in a different directory and pointing the database to the production one. Well, I have enough experience with these things, and I am happy I do, because I would have killed my database...

Instead I made a copy of the database and I pointed the new installation to that - let's call it ZC2. Once installed I found an empty database in ZC2 which previously was fully populated. I tried to import the data from a backup, but with not much luck. So this project is on hold till I learn how to do this properly.

Q1. - is it possible to do this? Since there are 2 different versions, can they coexist on the same database?

Q2. - since I have a few modifications on the production version, I cannot risk upgrading it without possibly kiling some functions. Is there an easy way around this?

Q3. - I've seen some dual pricing modules, one of my target is to have a main retail website and I need a dealer login facility as well which will use different prices on the same products. However the dual pricing module does not work properly with the Canadapost module, if installed over the Canadapost module one looses information like package size, weight, etc. (at least that was the case in 1.37.) Is there another way to do this without actually running 2 different stores?

Thank you,
    Oxy.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Install issues, wondering if this can be done

When a duplicate site is desired, for testing purposes or whatever, you need only to do the following.

1. Create a sub-dir
    2. Transfer all current Zen Cart files to the sub-dir
    3. Create a new database
    4. Export current database and Import into new database
    5. Edit both 'config' files to reflect using the sub-dir and newly created database

That's it. You do not need to do a new install but you do need to keep the databases seperate.

As to the dual pricing, you do not mention what one you are using but I cannot see how it would interfer with a Shipping module.