Plugin Contributions

help question Downloadables: Why "Delivery Address: n/a" when "Shipping Address Required"?

On one hand, when configuring a downloadable product, one must set up the product to:
    Product is Virtual? No, Shipping Address Required
    Product is Always Free Shipping? No, Normal Shipping Rules
    On the other hand, if all products in the customer's cart are downloadable, then the shipping address step is skipped and the order confirmation,say:
    Delivery Address: n/a
    Shipping Method: Free Shipping
    Which leads, of course, to no delivery address in PayPal, which leads to... No PayPal Seller Protection eligibility.

Is this by design?

If so, what is the rational behind the confusing requirement to set up the product as 'Shipping Address Required' ?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Downloadables: Why "Delivery Address: n/a" when "Shipping Address Required"?

First, you need to setup the Product correctly when it is a Download ...

Downloads are NOT Virtual Products ...

Downloads are NOT Always Free Shipping ...

You should never see the checkout_shipping on an Order of Download Products ...

Read through the Tutorial/FAQs on Attributes and Downloads and see if this helps to better explain things for you ...
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=71
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: Downloadables: Why "Delivery Address: n/a" when "Shipping Address Required"?

Ajeh, thank you for your quick reply.

I am afraid that I didn't explain my question well. I know how to setup downloadable products. I have already done it and it works very well.

I know that downloads are not virtual products.
    I know that downloads are not always free shipping.
    I don't see the checkout_shipping on an Order of Download Products - and I know this is how the system is supposed to behave.

In short, it is already working well for me.

However, what I don't understand is: if delivery address is "n/a", WHY require setting the product as "Shipping Address Required"?

In other words, if delivery address is not applicable and not used, then why require shipping address?

Am I the only one finding this contradiction confusing?
    Last edited by zcnb; 12 Nov 2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: clarification

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Downloadables: Why "Delivery Address: n/a" when "Shipping Address Required"?

Product is Virtual? No, Shipping Address Required
    Quote Originally Posted by zcnb View Post
    ... if delivery address is not applicable and not used, then why require shipping address?

Am I the only one finding this contradiction confusing?
    The wording of the field is just a collection of words. The specific logic is: "Is this product to be treated as a service instead of a product?".

While a "download" product is, in one sense, virtual, it is still a product, and not a service for which no product is received. Zen Cart's present logic treats downloadable items as a special kind of product, simply by the fact that a download-filename is attached ... and, for the rest of the download-fulfillment logic to work, the rules are: set "Product is Virtual" to "NO". That's why you're supposed to choose "No" for that field.

Maybe we'll look at changing the wording in a future release for you.

And, since downloads *are* treated as a special kind of virtual product, for which no physical delivery address is required, all delivery information such as shipping address, shipping cost, etc, is ignored.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.