Plugin Contributions

Default Fresh install using existing database?

I botched the cosmetic aspects of my first Zencart installation. Instead of applying changes the proper way, I overrode fonts and colors at the local level and even used <!-- and --> tags to prevent certain text from displaying. I also failed to make backups of the original files in some cases.

I'd like to start from scratch - the right way - and then import my old SQL database so that no account or order information is lost.

How should I proceed?

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Fresh install using existing database?

The good thing about dbase content-managed websites (of which ZC is an example), is that the database is generally separate from the code files.

If you botch the code, it's usually possible to restore just the code files without having to make adjustments to the database. (Not always the case, but true for the most part.)

Your problem can probably be resolved by doing a full FTP of the core files from your local drive, to the server.

1. Make sure that the version of the core code you intend to FTP is the same as the version currently used on your site.

2. Make a full backup of the database before you do anything. Also, make copies of your current configure.php files (one in includes, the other in admin/includes).

3. If you don't have a copy of ZC on your local drive, download and unzip one from this site's home page.

4. As you will not be doing a full fresh install, you probably need only FTP the following folders (and their contents) to your server.

• admin (renamed if you originally renamed the folder)
    • includes

It is unlikely that core files in the other folders have been affected by template changes you made. However, if you did edit files in other folders at some point in the past (such as files in the email directory), you may need to restore the original versions (via FTP as well).

5. Start by FTP of the includes directory only.

6. When the FTP is finished, login to your store's admin panel, and select the classic green template (admin>>>tools>>>template selection).

7. If your FTP was successful, you should see your store rendered in the classic green template.

8. Now, start a process of rigorous testing - particularly those that relate to product and customer data / actions. For example, open a product to edit its contents, check your currency settings, check your shipping options, look at customer purchase history/orders. Check customer details (addresses). Try all the hyperlinks on your site, particularly those in sideboxes.

9. Make notes of errors.

10. Do some test orders, using all available shipping and payment options.

11. If there are faults/errors in your admin panel, you may need to FTP a fresh copy of the admin folder to your server, (as you did for the includes folder earlier).

12. If you do need to send a fresh copy of the admin folder, then do all the tests again and see if this resolved conflicts/errors.

13. Generally, errors relating to the database will be fairly obvious, with onscreen errors reporting a failure to either write to or read from a database table. If you get such errors, then your dbase may need fixing too (but we can deal with this later).

14. Create a CUSTOM template system (see the wiki/faq for the procedure, which is quite simple).

15. Come back to this post to report your progress / additional problems.
    Last edited by fairestcape; 20 Nov 2008 at 10:36 AM.