Plugin Contributions

Default Block a new product from being listed in the 'New Products for November' section.

Hi,

The title describes exactly what I want:
    Block a new product that I have just entered from being listed in the 'New Products for November' section.

This may seem silly... here is an explanation. My store (www.theebooksale.com/zen-cart) sells books and ebooks. The cover image is important in selling that book/ebook... so I want my storefront to look impressive. One of the authors I work with has about 50 short stories that he want me to put online, but the covers are homemade and not pretty. Even though I want to include these stories in my Short Stories category, I dont want my storefront to look crappy because it will loose customers big time. (Don't worry, I'm not being mean to the author in question... he was the one who suggested I should do this).

Thats it... hopefully someone has a solution for me,
    Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Block a new product from being listed in the 'New Products for November' section.

Quote Originally Posted by ballyc27 View Post
    Hi,

The title describes exactly what I want:
    Block a new product that I have just entered from being listed in the 'New Products for November' section.

This may seem silly... here is an explanation. My store (www.theebooksale.com/zen-cart) sells books and ebooks. The cover image is important in selling that book/ebook... so I want my storefront to look impressive. One of the authors I work with has about 50 short stories that he want me to put online, but the covers are homemade and not pretty. Even though I want to include these stories in my Short Stories category, I dont want my storefront to look crappy because it will loose customers big time. (Don't worry, I'm not being mean to the author in question... he was the one who suggested I should do this).

Thats it... hopefully someone has a solution for me,
    Thanks.
    Ba,
    You could do this:

Find this:
    Admin > Configuration > Maximum Values >

Random New Products For Box
    Number of random new product to display in box

New Product Listing - Limited to ...
    Limit the New Product Listing to
    0= All Products
    1= Current Month
    7= 7 Days
    14= 14 Days
    30= 30 Days
    60= 60 Days
    90= 90 Days
    120= 120 Days
    (This is probably the best for your purpose.)

Which ever the one you have chosen just date the product entered before the date above

1. :)
    Mark
    Hare Do

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Block a new product from being listed in the 'New Products for November' section.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

thanks for the advice... it makes total sense. My only problem is I don't know how to adjust the product entered date. I have searched my manual and the control panel. Can you advise please?

Thank-you,
    Richie.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

It's not intended that you change the product-entered date. Rather, change the number of days intended to show.

If you really need to change the date itself, you'll have to go into the database and edit the raw data.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Ok... now I'm confused. Will that not effect all products... not just the 'short story' images I wish to block? All the other 'New Products' I wish to display as normal for the specified time.
    Perhaps this is not possible?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

To change the date on certain products so their dates fall outside the range of the new-products setting you've selected in your admin, you'll have to edit the raw database content, since there's not presently any admin-based interface to deal with that.

Plugin Contributions

Ok... will do.
    Thanks for the support.