Plugin Contributions

Default Using Navicat to update tables ?

Hello.
    I been using navicat for some time to create ( learn ) about mysql .

I have a live site , that i need to take down , reinstall zen cart from scratch and update ( not restore back up ) .

site currently displayed as catalogue , there has been no sales or registration etc.. but has large number of products listed.

is it ok to select tables and dump into sql ?? using navicate i can update the tables from sql ..

i tried exporting into txt file and importing , but it seems it only update partially ..

thanks.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Using Navicat to update tables ?

Not clear what your motive is... ???

If you are looking to install the most recent version of ZC (1.3.8a) and then populate it with product data from an older version, the most logical path to follow is to run the default Zencart Upgrade procedure.

The database MUST be upgraded in tandem with the code files - for obvious reasons.

Another possible route is to use EasyPopulate to export your product data, then to use it again (on the new ZC install) to import than back into your new store. Easy Populate will have some limitations here if your products have lots of attributes.

Plugin Contributions

well, the site was upgraded from 1.37 to latest version.
    however, i do think there might be some problems with database during upgrade .. although site is working ok but is just my guts feeling

using navicat, i can export a table into different format , txt , html , etc.. just like easy populate.. but i did have a bit of problem importing . still don't know why . looking into that .

however, if i dump SQL to file .. it seems better choice .. i end up with file with .sql extension .. and i can execute that on new store using navicate to populate the db..

now.. is there any tools that can look two Database , and compare the table structure to see if they match (not data but fields and metadata . etc ) ?? or do i have to do this manually ??

thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Doesn't navicat have a built-in feature to compare schemas? I'm not sure I'd trust their schema-sync tool though, since it doesn't have any of the intelligence of the ZC upgrade process in it.

Anyway, to compare schemas, just export all your tables, structure-only, to a .sql file. Do the same on the other database. Then use WinMerge and compare the files. You'll instantly see the differences.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Dr.. will give that a try ..

Plugin Contributions

using phpmyadmin . I created the .sql file for both live DB and fresh installed local DB.. 1.38a ..

the structure are the same. with minor differences.
    for live site , i used ZEN_ as part of tables name .. so thats no problem .
    some fields are varchar (32 ) on server , but varchar (64) on local computer. ( some fields ).

Some field on server contain word NOT NULL Default and " 0 " but not on my local computer, Just NOT NULL

also , on local computer some field contain word Unsigned ..

so would it be safe to say , i can backup live DB , and restore it on my new site with new DB ???

thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Well, incorrect field lengths and types can cause problems.
    I'd suggest fixing those to match the official structure for the version your database is supposed to be running.
    The /zc_install/sql/mysql_zencart.sql file is the official structure.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.