Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Changing gift certificate email to html as standard?

Hi is there anywhere in the code i can change the default gift certificate mail to html? I only found one other thread on this pointing out that all new customer emails were sent in plain text. Can i ammend this?

I definitely prefer if somebodies spending money on these that they get a nice looking email about it, as the plain text could easily be dismissed as spam.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Changing gift certificate email to html as standard?

I delete emails from places that send me HTML when I tell them TEXT emails ...

Have you tested this out, after enabling the HTML emails in the Configuration ... Emails ...
    Use MIME HTML When Sending Emails
    Send e-mails in HTML format

true
    false
    And try setting that to true ... then create an account as a customer for TEXT emails and a customer with HTML emails and see the difference in how the emails work on all of the features?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Hi thank you for the reply :)

At present i would, and i think my customers when paying for a email/virtual gift certificate would like your recipient to recieve a nice looking email that isn't in plain text. But thats just my thoughts on it and has made me put on hold my gift certificate idea.

I've changed the settings to html from the admin-config and as i think it was you who said in a previous thread on the topic: If zencart is set up to send gift certificates to customers who's preference is unknown, then surely you can chage the preference to be automically html somewhere?

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this though? I fell into the trap of when testing these out with my own account was getting all the emails in html i designed, got ready to launch them and when i tested them on a friend, it was just plain text.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

You only have PARTIAL control of the e-mail format - and you must be careful here...

I (like Ajeh) choose to receive my emails as plain text - it's a setting I CHOOSE MYSELF on my e-mail client.

So if you send me a HTML email ONLY, then it's likely to arrive garbled, or in plain text.

This is why ZC provides both options to configure and send out e-mail... so that when it gets to the adressee, it arrives in a format that can be rendered according to the user's preference - not yours!

Plugin Contributions

Yes but if a users preference is unknown (i.e a unkown new customer) then you are choosing their preference as plain text. I'd rather have a option for html as a default than not. But of course i am taking into account the variables of different email providors. It's a risk i am willing to take, and thus want to know where i can change the default preference to html.

Plugin Contributions

See Ajeh's post - she shows you the settings.

You have NO CONTROL over how a person chooses to receive e-mail as the setting is not done via an e-mail provider but on the user's e-mail client (ie: the software - such as MS Outlook - on their own computer).

Plugin Contributions

You seem to be missing my point. A persons email client has nothing to do with how gift certificate email is sent in zencart.

As was stated in a previous post:

if the use does not have a account with the store, the email is sent in plain text

If the uses does have a email account with the store then the email gets sent as their preference (i.e all my customers are subscribed to html) THEN it will be transferred by email client to plain text or let through as html.

Therefore, the zencart programme is sending the gift certificates to unknown customesr as plain text, and this is what i keep on asking if it can be changed. Your email client has nothing to do with the question i am asking.

Anybody other than fairestcape want to have a stab at this?

Plugin Contributions

My point is entirely valid... and posts by others will be no different.

Ajeh's post shows you how to default Zencart to send HTML emails - and if your customer has chosen to receive HTML, then that's how it will arrive... if not, they will get Text...

... simple as that.

Plugin Contributions

Any chance you can change your entire tone of your replies? This is supposed to be a helpful place.

Firstly, you are talking about customers, and customers email settings from their providor or zencart prefernce.

I am talking about zencarts default plain text setting for NON customers when sending gift certificates. How is that the same thing? And how can i change that. If it is set to plain text, then you must be able to CHANGE that setting to html. Oui?

A plain text setting is a setting in the files somewhere. As it sets the non customers to get PLAIN i want to change this to html.

I have fully read what you have written numerous times, and would like some other input on this from another person since you are doing nothing but repeat yourself.
    Last edited by ladygodiva; 1 Dec 2008 at 07:26 PM.

Plugin Contributions

This is a gift certificate issue only and not a general email enquiry or interest in changing any OTHER email settings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast