Plugin Contributions

help question USPS module not working - still...

This is my first post to the forum,after many days of trying to work this problem out with the post office to no avail. THanks in advance for any assistance.

I have used the USPS shipping module for a couple of years with no problems at all. Then last week, the USPS server seemed to have a total meltdown, affecting both their online services and the function of the shipping module in many zen carts. I checked the forum and saw that many others were having the same problems and decided to let USPS work on it a bit.
    Late last week, and again Monday I phoned them to see if they were going to be able to fix their issues, and I was told that the system was working fine, and they then confirmed that my account was active, settings correct, and that the problem had to be with the cart, a random thing with no connection at all with their server problems.. .. hmmmm.

I disagreed and was told to email [email protected] and see if they could help.

I received a response from icustomercare this evening response saying:

Dear USPS Customer,

I have verified your account is active and everything on our side is up and running correctly. I would suggest contacting your 3rd party shopping cart for assistance.

FYI - You may need an update from your shopping cart. We currently are updated to Rate V3 and API Rate will not work anymore if that is still in your code.

Have I missed something completely? What is Rate V3, and if API is no longer available, what is everyone else using???? I have spent hours searching the forum and see nothing about a new shipping module. And I would assume that the version that came with the 1.3.8 upgrade would be the most current version.

I have upgraded to version 1.3.8, uninstalled and reinstalled all shipping and payment modules, several times and am still unable to get the USPS module to work. Upon checkout, instead of a rate quote, the following message displays:
    We are unable to find a USPS shipping quote suitable for your mailing address and the shipping methods we typically use.
    If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact us for assistance.
    (Please check that your Zip Code is entered correctly.)

I have placed test orders in debug mode and this is the message I receive every time:
    <Error>
    <Number>80040b1a</Number>
    <Description>API Authorization failure. User 089CYNTH7259 is not authorized to use API Rate.</Description>
    <Source>UspsCom:oAuth</Source>
    </Error>

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Happy Holidays

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: USPS module not working - still...

I'd call USPS and make sure that your USPS Web Tools User ID is correct and active for the Production Server ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the response. I have confirmed with usps three times by phone that I have my ID correct, that I am set to the production server and that account is active and all settings on their end correct. All three times they assure me that all is correct, and working perfectly on their end.

I've been going back and forth with them for over a week on this, and finally gave up and decided to try the forum.

Thank you for the response. Any other suggestions how I might tackle this problem?
    Cynthia

Plugin Contributions

Follow up question. How can I tell which tools my cart is actually using to get a usps shipping quote. I am using the only usps shipping module in the cart. The post office tells me that they no longer use API, and are now using only Rate V3. I don't find any info in the forum about Rate V3, and don't know how to determine what is in my is actually trying to use.
    My debug emails always refer to API not accessible to me.

Plugin Contributions

SUCCESS!!! PHone call number 5 to the USPS has resulted in a fix for this problem. (Pretty embarassing when they recognize you by voice..)
    Anyway, I mentioned to the tech that I had gotten an email mentioning Rate V3, and what was that, and he immediately fixed the problem.
    I had been given permissions to V2, and not V3. I don't know how or when these things were changed, probably during their big server melt down, but at any rate, if anyone else is having this issue, don't just let them tell you that you have all the correct settings, and permissions, ID etc. Ask them to confirm which version you need permissions for and to match them up.

Plugin Contributions

Maybe this is why I'm getting some funky first class quotes on items over 13 ounces.

Got a phone number for them?
    Should I tell them you sent me?

Plugin Contributions

Sure, phone number is 1-800-344-7779.
    Ask for Steve!!

Plugin Contributions

Has anyone else had trouble with this? I'm in the same boat - my domestic quotes are flawless, but my international quotes become a redirect loop.

I've contacted USPS with all of the information above (many thanks, btw) and I've gotten the same response from them: I'm on production, my ID is correct, and I have all the right permissions. Mind you, I haven't been able to get anyone to answer exactly what I need and what permissions my account has. I've recently sent an email to customer care with those questions...

Does anyone have any more detail about which permissions we actually need for international quotes?

Greg

Plugin Contributions

What I finally found out after weeks of going round with the post office is that the "permissions" is just an on, off setting, BUT you have to have each one set individually, in other words, turning you on for domestic will NOT turn you on for international. There are also several versions of domestic, and in my case, they had turned on the older ones, but not the current one. Call them and insist that they check ALL of the permissions one at a time to make sure that you have access to the international rate quotes.
    Best of luck!

Plugin Contributions

To close my loop - my USPS module is working fine with the exception of international flat-rate boxes. USPS offers two boxes and my installation only has the option for one. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, etc., but can only get the one option to show up in admin. That's a topic for another thread, but I wanted to update on my issue.

FWIW, USPS confirmed that I had RateV3 permissions (email and phone) and that I did not have RateV3 permissions (later by phone). Apparently phone support has limited access to account information whereas email support can see everything.

Thanks again for all your help.