Plugin Contributions

Default MySQL user crashing servers MySQL

My Servers MySQL keeps turning off and all the websites on the server can not connect to the respective database.

This has happened a couple of times in the past week.

I checked the MySQL logs and its showing 30 or so messages relating to my Zencart database MySQL user:

MyZenCartdatabaseUser [Warning] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Forcing close of thread

Im running a modified ZenCart 1.37. The site has been running fine for a couple of years, and I haven't modified anything recently.

However we are constantly adding new products (about 10,000 currently).

If anyone has any knowledge or ideas about this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: MySQL user crashing servers MySQL

There are a couple of modules to lighten the mysql loading recently created and these might assist....but with only 10,000 items you should not be having issues...
    We have carts with 100,000+ items running well
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply.

I have established the problem now, but would like to know the best solution.

China Hacker is sending thousands of requests to url's that don't exist.

I have an SEO module installed.
    They are sending requests such as

contact-us.hblahblahml
    rather than contact-us.html

I have put into place temporary solution but not sure what the best solution is?

Plugin Contributions

Do you sell to China?
    If not block the country
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

If they are originating from the same IP address range, block the IP address range on your server.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Heck with that... Redirect the user agent or IP from the china hacker to a page which says, this content has been printed without my permission... But here is my link"

This is likely a scraper... Automating your content. They very seldom, sometimes never notice that you have done this and you can grab some relevant traffic from their theft.

~Melanie
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mprough View Post
    This is likely a scraper... Automating your content.
    What could they be scraping from non-existent pages?
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

The non existent urls are caused from people linking to their generated content... Many scraper sites use a dynamic platform and sessions to produce real time scraped content... So the user gets urls like

mysite.com/index.html?jhbdfb or similar... But these pages are produced in real time, so the scraper site visitors link to pages which can never be reproduced.

A very common one of these is a site which displays content for folks at work behind a firewall... Work Friendly. These use this type of platform and until recently their results for site were allowed to be indexed... In fact duplicating all pages of every user added site in their database.

Redirecting the user agent effectively prevents this as the visitor is returned to the site of origin respectively. Blocking them if accomplished does nothing to gain from the incident. Many of these site crawl with one IP/User agent and produce results with another so you are forced to search your logs to find the correct IP/agent to deny access for... When if you just grab these urls as they are being called for you can convert this into a positive situation.

~Melanie
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for everybodys helpful response.

One thing I have also noticed is we did not have a custom 404 page up i.e. a zencart one with the sitemap. So instead it was linking to a server 404 error document. Im not sure if that was causing problems with the SQL database.

Anyway I've blocked the IP range for the time being. Im a bit dubious of blocking the whole of China, even though 99% are unwelcome visitors. I do not want it to effect google rankings in other Asia countries.