Plugin Contributions

Default Credit Card Problem Thats NEVER happened.

Hello. In ten years, and thousands of orders using OSC and ZEN, this has never happened.

A customer placed an order using his Visa number. The customer only entered 15 digits and NOT the required 16. He was still allowed to checkout, and of course, I only received the middle 7 digits instead of 8.

I logged into the site as a customer and attempted to place an order using the Visa test number. I only entered 15 digits and got the error code that I didn't use enough numbers. I then attempted the (15) numbers the customer gave me and sure enough, the cart let me checkout.

Any suggestions/advice on how to prevent this from happening in the future would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

1.38 and only minor mods. Site has been running flawlessly for 6 months and hundreds of orders. Of the 7 orders yesterday, this one was the only one that had the above problem.
    NicotineRush dot com Nasal Snuff & Accessories

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Credit Card Problem Thats NEVER happened.

You are using what payment module?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Just the basic cc module that comes with zen.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

1. What are the first 8 digits?
    2. What happened when you submitted the 15-digit number on your POS/terminal for processing?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    1. What are the first 8 digits?
    2. What happened when you submitted the 15-digit number on your POS/terminal for processing?
    4661 8003 (not an amex card)

Terminal came back with an error code saying I did not have enough digits.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Apply the LUHN algorithm to the 15 digits that you have - see if it verifies...

(see google for LUHN - or Mod-10 - algorithm... It's quite an easy forumla to test.)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by fairestcape View Post
    Apply the LUHN algorithm to the 15 digits that you have - see if it verifies...

(see google for LUHN - or Mod-10 - algorithm... It's quite an easy forumla to test.)
    Yes, it verifies.

update. Customer just got back to me with the missing digit. Was this just a coincidence?
    Tom
    Last edited by bakdoor; 18 Jan 2009 at 05:00 PM.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

That is most unusual for a 16-digit card!

ZC Version 2.0 (and thereafter) will, I believe, NOT include the CC module as standard.

I know that Conor Kerr (ceon) (dev.ceon.net) developed a C-card module that he says is more secure and robust that the standard ZC offering.

You may care to take a look, and send a PM to ceon asking him if this unusual event is possible with his module.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you. I will. Am I correct in assuming that the chances of this happening again are very slim?
    Tom

Plugin Contributions

Hi Tom,

I too have never heard of a card number passing the LUHN check when a digit has been dropped off. Obviously the fact that it has happened means that, while being statistically unlikely, it is indeed possible for a LUHN check to pass an invalid card number as valid.

There's not much that can be done about that.

However, I highly recommend that you use a payment gateway which charges cards live, no store should really be using a terminal to charge the cards. If you've had thousands of transactions then you really shouldn't be using this method for charging cards, I'm pretty sure you'd be in serious breach of your merchant account's terms and conditions.

The Ceon Manual Card module does work better than the standard Zen Cart module but it uses the same LUHN checking algorithm so the same situation would occur with it.

As is mentioned in the module's documentation, although we wrote and released this module we actually don't recommend that anyone uses it and that stores only use a payment gateway to take customer's money! :)

If you are going to continue using a terminal though I do recommend installing Ceon Manual Card, it has a nice sidebox to display cards accepted and other such small niceities. ;)

All the best...

Conor
    Ceon