Plugin Contributions

Default Estimate shipping probs

We are having many issues with the shipping estimate calculator, it is configured but no matter what it seems to show the wrong values.

Here is our configuration:

Country of Origin United States
    Info Postal Code 07204
    Info Enter the Maximum Package Weight you will ship 1000
    Info Package Tare Small to Medium - added percentage:weight 0:1
    Larger packages - added packaging percentage:weight 10:0
    Info Display Number of Boxes and Weight Status 3
    Info Order Free Shipping 0
    Weight Status 0
    Info Shipping Estimator Display Settings for Shopping Cart 1
    Info Display Order Comments on Admin Invoice 1
    Info Display Order Comments on Admin Packing Slip 1

1. The first problem we had is with these values if we setup a tare of 0:1 USPS is ok, but not exactly as UPS online
    All the others are way too much over the real values ...

2. If we change tare to 0:0 USPS shows wrong values way below what we are charged!!
    The others are still slightly above online.

We need to find a solution ASAP because we see everybody getting to the shipping estimator and then ABANDONING the CARTS!

As we have a very tight profit margin, shipping is a real concern...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Estimate shipping probs

> Info Package Tare Small to Medium - added percentage:weight 0:1
    > Larger packages - added packaging percentage:weight 10:0

Do you really want to add a full pound tare to the smaller packages and 10% of weight to the larger ones? That seems like a lot and might explain why the shipping calculator is giving you figures that are too high. Also, under Modules/Shipping, do you have a handling fee? That might be raising the shipping costs.

Finally, I'd suggest you eliminate one method (either UPS or USPS) for the time being and work on getting one working right. Then it should be much simpler to add the other.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]Sylvia
    PM at your own risk, I don't check in regularly!
    MamaSylvia.com My ZenCart tutorial
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Enter the Maximum Package Weight you will ship 1000
    You may want to ship 1000lbs but UPS and USPS cannot ship a 1000lb package ...

What the Maximum Weight shipped does is divide the order into "boxes" so that the quote can be made ... the default is 50lbs ... check with USPS and UPS for their maximums and use the one you need for your shipping rates ...

If you use both USPS and UPS, set the Maximum to the lowest value for the two methods ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

NOTE: on USPS setting the Machinable to true or false will alter the quoted amounts ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mamasylvia View Post
    > Info Package Tare Small to Medium - added percentage:weight 0:1
    > Larger packages - added packaging percentage:weight 10:0

Do you really want to add a full pound tare to the smaller packages and 10% of weight to the larger ones? That seems like a lot and might explain why the shipping calculator is giving you figures that are too high. Also, under Modules/Shipping, do you have a handling fee? That might be raising the shipping costs.

Finally, I'd suggest you eliminate one method (either UPS or USPS) for the time being and work on getting one working right. Then it should be much simpler to add the other.
    This is interesting, I thought the module only accepted whole numbers so 1 is the smallest figure I came up with ....

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    NOTE: on USPS setting the Machinable to true or false will alter the quoted amounts ...
    This is a great tip, but the question is how are they affected? to a lesser amount or to a higher?

BTW I don't charge anything for handling in fact I started offering free shipping as an incentive ... for some products ...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    You may want to ship 1000lbs but UPS and USPS cannot ship a 1000lb package ...

What the Maximum Weight shipped does is divide the order into "boxes" so that the quote can be made ... the default is 50lbs ... check with USPS and UPS for their maximums and use the one you need for your shipping rates ...

If you use both USPS and UPS, set the Maximum to the lowest value for the two methods ...
    lol it makes SENSE!! thanks!!! Please note I had no idea what the values meant, I had to figure them out one by one! I added 1000lbs, because the other day we had an order for 18 products that weighted 340lbs ... so the estimator was giving WEIRD VALUES or nothing at all ...

USPS allows 70lbs max ... so that has to be the max??? But I was getting nothing if I setup values lower than total weight ...

BTW this product only weights 3.3 lbs and the weird thing is the package for 1 weights 20 lbs! the system calculated a whopping 340 lbs for the total package!!!!

Well the thing is after that I realize it I did a manual calculation and came up with 80 lbs which makes much more sense!

The truth is I am still having a hard time setting up weights ...

Plugin Contributions

> I thought the module only accepted whole numbers

Nope, ZC accepts decimal weight amounts just fine. I just had to recalculate everything as I had noted weight in oz and ZC/USPS wants weight in pounds.

USPS charges an additional fee for non-machinable packages, so you don't want to ship those unless you have to. Put the items in a standard box or padded envelope. I use Paypal's shipping label program, which produces scannable addresses and delivery confirmation bars and consequently saves me a little money (although the half-page labels I print onto are rather expensive, I just figure that cost into my "handling" charge).
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]Sylvia
    PM at your own risk, I don't check in regularly!
    MamaSylvia.com My ZenCart tutorial
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mamasylvia View Post
    >
    USPS charges an additional fee for non-machinable packages, so you don't want to ship those unless you have to. Put the items in a standard box or padded envelope. I use Paypal's shipping label program, which produces scannable addresses and delivery confirmation bars and consequently saves me a little money (although the half-page labels I print onto are rather expensive, I just figure that cost into my "handling" charge).
    That's interesting as estimated prices in USPS are always LOWER than actual counter prices and we had to add tare to compensate but then there was a huge difference ...

Thanks for the tips!