Plugin Contributions

Default What am I missing?

Hey all,

I am trying to move my cart from an Xampp setup on my PC over to a hostmonster web server. I have read the tutorials, but it seems like they are skipping steps, or I'm missing something.

I have (several times) uploaded a fresh new cart to the root of my server. Then installed it and verified that it worked. After that, I proceeded to upload my custom cart over the original install. Everything looks good, but none of my products are listed.

So it was off to load my database. I followed the instructions on how to back it up locally with phpmyadmin. Here's where I run into issues. What exactly do I need to backup? I have several parts to phpmyadmin, my actual cart name, cdcol, mysql, phpmyadmin, webauth, information_schema. I've backed up all of them. Then just the store name. For some reason every time I try to upload I get an error code "MySQL said #1044 Access denied for user.... to database...."

Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Or is there an easier way to accomplish my end goal?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: What am I missing?

I imagine that as your store is still a "test" store, there is not a lot of data in the database.

When this is the case (and you experience problems installing a backup over a new database) there is another more "manual" technique that may work.

1. Create another brand new, empty database on the server.

2. Open the original database on your local drive in phpMyAdmin.

3. In phpMyAdmin, select the database, so you get the full list of tables displayed in the left column.

4. In the right-hand panel, select "Export".

5. (Now, you have to work with "manageable chunks" of data, so from the dropdown of "what to export", highlight about 10 to 15 of the available 97-odd tables.).

6. Export type must be SQL.

7. In the right column, select any OPTIONS that may apply, (such as if your remote database is a different version, you may have to alter "SQL Compatibility Mode" dropdown). Generally, there is no need to change other settings here. So click the GO button.

8. A screen will appear with the data "dump" of all those tables you selected for export. This can take a few seconds to display if there's a lot of data.

9. Open a PLAIN TEXT EDITOR on your local drive. Notepad is OK, but Crimson Editor (or a dedicated SQL editor) is better.

10. Go back to phpMyAdmin screen, and HIGHLIGHT all that dumped data with your cursor. COPY (Ctrl+C) to your clipboard.

11. Get the plain text editor up on screen, and PASTE (Ctrl+V) the data.

12. SAVE this txt file as "datadump.txt"

------------------------------------------------

13. Now, REPEAT steps 4 to 12 above for ALL data tables, just adding the copied text to your file named "datadump".

14. When you have exported ALL tables and their contents, you now need to "insert" this data into the EMPTY DATABASE you created in step 1 above. So, open this database on your remote server in phpMyAdmin.

15. phpMyAdmin will tell you that the database is empty, so now you will "fill" it, doing the OPPOSITE of what you did earlier.

16. Quickest way is to use the "Import" feature, locate the file "datadump.txt" on your local drive and click "GO".

After a minute or so, barring any transfer fault over the www, you will have your new database populated.

Point your ZC to this database by editing configure.php files

-----------------------------------------------

You will now need to re-set the CACHE, so from Free Add-ons section of this site, grab a copy of fix_cache_key.php and run it according to the instructions.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Ok, I took your advice and rebuilt my database in 10 table increments. I went into my configuration files and verified that they are pointing to my database, but my cart is still showing the original categories and products that come with the "demo" add on.

According to the instructions, all I need to do is upload my cart from Xampp overwriting the cart on my web server. The exception is too leave out the two config files (which I've done). Also, I need to use phpmyadmin to export my dbase and then re-import it on my server. It sounds easy enough...but some piece of the puzzle is missing.

Has anyone installed Zen Cart using Hostmonster? I'd really like to pick someones brain over this.

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: What am I missing?

Just an idea: Is it possible that what you are missing is the password for your database?

Plugin Contributions

Your store will only read what it is being "instructed" to read, and it would appear that the database it is reading on the live server does not have your product data.

Get into your Hostmonster c-panel and get phpMyAdmin running. See what databases are there. Look at your configure.php files and make sure they are referencing the right database. If there is only ONE database, and your configure.php files are pointing to it, then open that database in phpMyAdmin and see what's in the product tables (there are a couple relating to products).

If you don't see your product data there, then it needs to be put there.

You could use Easy Populate (EP) to dump the product data off your xammp store, then, install EP on the hostmonster store and get it to upload the data from the dump you just did. (I use this method often).
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I wanted to thank everyone for their ideas, ended up steering me in the right direction.

Here's what was going on...

When I used Hostmonster's simple scripts to add my cart it would add an extra "/" to the database location. I didn't see it at first when I was looking at my dbase location, because I was mainly concerned about the name.

I also found that when I built my home server Xampp didn't use any "prefix" characters. By default Simple Scripts includes a default set of prefixes. Once I sorted through those two issues my site uploaded and behaved like a champ.

Thanks again!