Plugin Contributions

Default Order reference number not updating - PayPal IPN - v1.3.5

Hi - I have been having problems using Paypal IPN. Paypal is receiving money for orders fine but Admin is not showing any record of the order (checked database - not in orders table too).

I did a test transaction myself - again no order recorded in Admin/database - however I did notice that the order reference number on the checkout success page had reverted to my very first order reference number. I created another test transaction. Again, the order reference number remained the same as my very first order reference number. I reset the current order id in Store Manager in Admin and did yet another test transaction and now I get a blank order reference number on the checkout success page.

I am running 1.3.5. Without having to upgrade (which I plan to do soon) is there any way I can fix this problem?

Many thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Order reference number not updating

Another update:
    when i do a test order as a customer who has previously made an order from the site then the order id of the previous order appears on the checkout success page. When I place a test order as a brand new customer then i get no order id appearing on the checkout success page.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Order reference number not updating

Those are all entirely normal symptoms of PayPal being unable to talk to your server in order to give it the details of the newly-placed order.
    When you fix that problem, all those seemingly odd symptoms will disappear and order details and numbers will show properly.
    Related FAQ: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.php/PayPal

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Order reference number not updating - PayPal IPN - v1.3.5

Dr Byte - I am going through the FAQ link you posted - but everything seems to be in order. I ran ipncheck.php:

IPNCHECK.PHP - Version 1.0

IPN TESTING - POSTING to PayPal via: ssl://www.paypal.com:443

IPN TESTING - Confirmation/Validation response: RESPONSE RECEIVED - Communications OKAY

Script finished.

I am at a loss as to what is going wrong. I've changed no code since yesterday, when it was working fine.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Okay, your server can talk to PayPal. That's good.
    But that doesn't test whether PayPal can talk to *you*.

For PayPal to talk to you, it first needs to have IPN Notification enabled in your PayPal account profile, as well as all the other settings mentioned in the article I quoted earlier.
    Then you need to do a transaction with debug logging enabled on your store's paypal module.
    Then you need to review the logs it generates, if any.
    If it doesn't generate any logs, then PayPal isn't getting to your server, or your server isn't receiving PayPal's connection attempts, perhaps due to firewall blocks or poorly-written SEO addons, or .htaccess redirect settings, etc.

Or maybe PayPal is having a problem with their systems today and just isn't sending notifications. Again, that's mentioned in the troubleshooting article.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Dr Byte,
    Thanks for helping me out :)
    I have the IPN module enabled and all other setting are set as per the article you mentioned.
    I set debug mode to log file and carried out a transaction. I checked includes/modules/payment/paypal/logs (logs is set to 777). Contents as follows:

Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN FATAL ERROR::No POST data available

Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN FATAL ERROR::Could not find stored session in DB, cannot re-create session

Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN FATAL ERROR::No saved session data available

Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN NOTICE::Got past language loads

Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN INFO - POST VARS
    cmd=_notify-validate

Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN INFO - CURL INFO
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    ,Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 15:20:52 GMT
    ,Server: Apache
    ,Set-Cookie: cwrClyrK4LoCV1fydGbAxiNL6iG=5ajAz5wJ0aw69hidkIZGEHbNaNG298njITj9sUy_00jwAGhp-zZHYyfeRMqxcs3YeOBGNDxdxUPFocfDOn9kD4qs5U92faz74clqqnltz1LnnoCHZN-Y9wHvZ5ezIQhk_2o2qW%7csY8SxasoFWBJyhnxDAELPpwbNtNZMvk9IFJFVjOBpJEXfX1jlXWdfZvxAu 5_CvGxV-wXsG%7cFKLpcLexxNvwT8CdGCR9qCMxs0M0imwUxBb_hXXnp3QjI0u95I0LZz9_7l9B2IF9CXJ-fG%7c1233847252; domain=.paypal.com; path=/
    ,Set-Cookie: cookie_check=yes; expires=Sun, 03-Feb-2019 15:20:52 GMT; domain=.paypal.com; path=/
    ,Set-Cookie: navcmd=_notify-validate; domain=.paypal.com; path=/
    ,Set-Cookie: navlns=0; expires=Wed, 31-Jan-2029 15:20:52 GMT; domain=.paypal.com; path=/
    ,Vary: Accept-Encoding
    ,Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100
    ,Connection: Keep-Alive
    ,Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    ,Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    ,INVALID

Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN WARNING::Transaction was not marked as VERIFIED. IPN Info = HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    ,Set-Cookie: cwrClyrK4LoCV1fydGbAxiNL6iG=5ajAz5wJ0aw69hidkIZGEHbNaNG298njITj9sUy_00jwAGhp-zZHYyfeRMqxcs3YeOBGNDxdxUPFocfDOn9kD4qs5U92faz74clqqnltz1LnnoCHZN-Y9wHvZ5ezIQhk_2o2qW%7csY8SxasoFWBJyhnxDAELPpwbNtNZMvk9IFJFVjOBpJEXfX1jlXWdfZvxAu 5_CvGxV-wXsG%7cFKLpcLexxNvwT8CdGCR9qCMxs0M0imwUxBb_hXXnp3QjI0u95I0LZz9_7l9B2IF9CXJ-fG%7c1233847252; domain=.paypal.com; path=/
    ,Set-Cookie: cookie_check=yes; expires=Sun, 03-Feb-2019 15:20:52 GMT; domain=.paypal.com; path=/
    ,Set-Cookie: navlns=0; expires=Wed, 31-Jan-2029 15:20:52 GMT; domain=.paypal.com; path=/
    ,INVALID

Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN FATAL ERROR::Transaction did not validate

Not sure how to interpret this ...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sparklefish View Post
    I checked includes/modules/payment/paypal/logs (logs is set to 777). Contents as follows:

Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN FATAL ERROR::No POST data available
    That's the first problem: whatever triggered the ipn_main_handler.php when this log was created, didn't have any data coming from PayPal. This suggests that this log file was created by *you* surfing to the ipn_main_handler.php file via your browser.
    Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN FATAL ERROR::Could not find stored session in DB, cannot re-create session

Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN FATAL ERROR::No saved session data available
    Directly related to previous comment.
    Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN NOTICE::Got past language loads
    n/a
    Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN INFO - POST VARS
    cmd=_notify-validate
    Normally this would list more than just the "cmd=" line ... it should include all the details of the transaction being shared by PayPal
    Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN INFO - CURL INFO
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    ,INVALID

Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN WARNING::Transaction was not marked as VERIFIED.

Thu Feb 2009 15:20 -- IPN FATAL ERROR::Transaction did not validate
    That's showing that when your server contacted PayPal to attempt to validate the data submitted to ipn_main_handler.php, PayPal said it didn't recognize it ... in this case that's exactly as expected since no valid data was submitted to it in the first place.

I recommend deleting existing log files and do a new transaction.

Plugin Contributions

Ok - that makes sense.
    I deleted the log file and carried out another transaction. No log file has appeared in the logs folder.
    Does this seem to suggest that something is wrong at the Paypal side ... I checked with my host and all is Ok and ports 80 and 443 are open.