Plugin Contributions

Default Need Help after editing template

I am new to all of this and totally lost. 3 days I have been trying to set up my site. Remember I'm a super dummy learning as I go. I finally figured out how to edit the template, make the changes and the program EverSoft First page 2 won't let me use Filezilla to transfer. I downloaded what ever they said to use and I can't get it to work. I tried to save it as language/????/????/??? whatever I had found somewhere. It won't save that way. Saved it as php and it saved it as html. After 3 hours of looking for a way to get it from my desktop to the zencart website folder and where exactly to put it. I right clicked and renamed it as php. Then I found a hint to make a folder in my name, then add 4 other folders to it and put the files I made into those folder. Well It's been 6 hours since I made the changes and I still can't get them to show up on the site. Any simple suggestions? How do I get the changes I made to show up on the template? I took out the zen heading, changed the buttons to what I wanted, took out the welcome guest, sign in. I am using the lavender template.

Debbie

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need Help after editing template

Un fortunately one can not use a WYSIWYG html editor for a php application like Zencart and I suspect this is a large part of your issue.

Get a FTP application like filezilla - http://filezilla-project.org/

A PLAIN TEXT editor like notepad++ or crimson editor.
    http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
    http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

Read & follow the tutorials you can find at the top of this page
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

I have filezilla already. I have read and read and reread the hint, post, suggestions, & tips. I have not gotten anywhere. The tips at the bottom of the this page don't tell me anything. I have looked thru the zen instruction book and found nothing. There has got to be one simple step I am not doing and it is not clicking.

Since I can't get the file to transfer from Eversoft First page and can't get there fpt to even work. What do I need to save it as? php, html or something else. And then what folder do I transfer it to?

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

You cannot use EvrSoft First page to create or edit the code used in your zenshop.

Zencart does not compile pages through HTML, but PHP.

These languages are fundamentally different.

PHP is an "instructional" language. It creates web pages "on-the-fly", calling "bits" of the page from many resources (some may have html code), including a database.

When the PHP has assembled a page (yes, in html finally), it sends the page to the browser, where it is displayed.

When the person viewing the page clicks a link, the page "evaporates" - - - it is not stored anywhere.

You need to learn a little about these "dynamic web page" systems, and to do so, start by abandoning EvrSoft... It's of no use to you.