Plugin Contributions

Default PayPal IPN Question: Customer returning to store

I've posted this question before but was not able to receive an answer. Trying again, hoping someone would enlighten me.

What is the difference between the customer returning and not returning to my shop after making payment with PayPal IPN (website payment standard)?

What kind of troubles can I expect if the customer doesn't return?

Thanks,

Susan

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PayPal IPN Question: Customer returning to store

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

The tutorial needs to be updated because the below statement is no longer true, at least according to my test results.

"If the customer pays without making a PayPal account and declines the invitation to make one, your store sits in limbo and never gets the order (due to a bug in PayPal's logic, which they've not fixed yet). If they DO have OR make a PayPal account, you get the notification and the order is stored in your database."

Susan

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You've stated that previously.

But, according to what another user posted a couple days ago, the issue is still very real.

PayPal has different configurations for different geographic regions based on financial, legal, judicial and political requirements; however, they don't publish all those details. Perhaps your PayPal account is exempt from that problem. In which case, consider yourself luck -- carry on with business and don't worry about it.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post

But, according to what another user posted a couple days ago, the issue is still very real.

PayPal has different configurations for different geographic regions based on financial, legal, judicial and political requirements; however, they don't publish all those details. Perhaps your PayPal account is exempt from that problem. In which case, consider yourself luck -- carry on with business and don't worry about it.
    It's disappointing to know that PayPal engages in such discriminatory practices based on those factors.

Are they based on store owner's PayPal account or customer's? Perhaps both.

It's especially discouraging because it means that configuring a store based on the information found here and the findings of other users is pretty much a futile attempt because it will still yield unexpected outcomes.

Is there an alternative to PayPal for stores located outside of North America to accept credit cards from global clients?

Thanks,

Susan

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you want to engage in merchant activities such as collecting credit card payments from customers, it's best to talk to your bank about available options since you need to select an option that works with your bank specifically.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post

I'd agree with that being REAL.

I've been baffled by paypal payments and orders in my account.

This week i have had one order which didn't show up in Zencart, yet i received an email and funds in paypal, (tho the customers address details were in ZC).

I then changed my setup to use Paypal Express.

MODERATOR NOTE: Discussion related to PayPal Express Checkout moved to new thread here: http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121361