Page 40 of 208 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 2071
  1. #391
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,883
    Plugin Contributions
    3

    Default Re: ozpost shipping module

    Quote Originally Posted by lotii10396 View Post
    I know this might seem a *dumb* question but if this Ozpost module replaces the AustPost - Improved Module, why is the *old* one still being offered as a download?

    From what I can tell (only by accident did I read this thread too...) is that I should *not* be using AustPost - improved but instead using Ozpost.

    ????

    Adrian
    For the same reason(s) the even older and even more obsolete 'AusPost' module is still available.

    1. Us mere mortals (the people that submit the modules) have no way to delete/remove them.

    2. Although not applicable in this case, some of the older modules may not wotk with the newer versions of zencart, and since some people still use the older zencart versions it makes sense to leave the module for them to use, and

    3. The zencart team generally have no way of knowing (unless they are told) if an old module wotks with newer versions of zencart or not. Many will, so they can't simply remove them just because they weren't created or specified to wotk with the latest versions.

    Having said that, perhaps if DrByte, Ajeh, or any of the other zencart team could see fit to delete or archive the "AusPost" and "AustPost - Improved" modules it could save a few people a few headaches, because neither of them work with any version of zencart these days.

    Cheers
    Rod
    Ozpost - The Ultimate Shipping module for Australian Merchants. Click these links for its Homepage, or Download from Zen-Cart.com.

  2. #392
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    47
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: ozpost shipping module

    Mmm. Rod, firstly I want to make in crystal clear that I very much appreciate your work. I too have been using the AusPost module on a commercial client's site, and without it ZC simply would not have been an option.

    But to hear that it is no longer working correctly (by accident really) was pretty concerning. I understand ZC is OS, and what that effectively means to my clients is cheap. Heck, if they could/would pay of course I would use a commercial product. But up until now I always believed that ZC *could* work with the right support and technical knowledge.

    But this scenario with redundant modules is extremely troubling. The AusPost - improved module is still available, listed as compliant with v1.3.8 AND seems to install & work fine with v1.3.8a - I know because I have it installed on a pre-production site.

    As having *some* experience in ecommerce IMHO anything to do with money needs to be pretty set-in-stone, so I see it as a *huge* flaw in the whole ZC logic to have redundant modules involved with financial calculations available that *look* to be compliant with the latest release. Imagine if one of the credit-card modules were to be totally compromised, surely the ZC team would *have* to remove it.

    I hope that the Zen Cart team do indeed take this on-board. Sure, there are suggestive reasons why old code may still available to download (though overall I disagree), but surely there should be the capacity for the "owner" of the module to indicate to potential users that there are serious flaws with the code and inform the general public that is no longer being supported.

    Suggestion 1.

    I think an easy solution might be for the Zen Cart forum to have threads that are specific to each module and *only* contain information from the writers/owners/updaters of the code. Means that critical information is easy to find and gives end-users a clear date-stamped picture of the status of this module.

    Suggestion 2.

    I think that you should consider charging an "optional" support fee for your code. Not sure if you can do this according to the ZC *laws*, but as this module is pretty mission-critical for my installs (I'm based in Unley, not far from you of course) I not only need it to work but need to know what issues are happening with it. So by being "registered" with you means that you would "most likely" email me with updates on the status of the module.

    The new version of my clients site uses a third-party commercial credit card payment system (upgraded from the Ceon module) for two reasons:

    1. PCI-DSS compliance
    2. Keeping this part working is their problem, not mine.

    FWIW I would be more than happy to pay an annual fee for you to keep my contact email on your mail-out list. Food for thought.

    -------------------------------------

    On a more technical side, can you give me any more detail as to why a server-change (yours or theirs?) is preventing the AusPost module from working properly? The obvious reason I ask this is does the new OzPost module potentially suffer from the same issue?

    Cheers, Adrian

  3. #393
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    60,393
    Blog Entries
    4
    Plugin Contributions
    144

    Default Re: ozpost shipping module

    Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Having said that, perhaps if DrByte, Ajeh, or any of the other zencart team could see fit to delete or archive the "AusPost" and "AustPost - Improved" modules it could save a few people a few headaches, because neither of them work with any version of zencart these days.
    Done .
    .

    Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donations always welcome: www.zen-cart.com/donate

    Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.



  4. #394
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    60,393
    Blog Entries
    4
    Plugin Contributions
    144

    Default Re: ozpost shipping module

    Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    This is a known bug. Replace the file
    /includes/modules/shipping/ozpost.php with the one attached to this reply.
    Perhaps you can submit this updated version to the Addons area so all can benefit from it without having to read this thread first?
    The last edition you uploaded was v1.0.2, dated 2009-04-21.
    .

    Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donations always welcome: www.zen-cart.com/donate

    Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.



  5. #395
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,883
    Plugin Contributions
    3

    Default Re: ozpost shipping module

    Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Perhaps you can submit this updated version to the Addons area so all can benefit from it without having to read this thread first?
    The last edition you uploaded was v1.0.2, dated 2009-04-21.
    There are a couple of reasons this bugfixed version hasn't been uploaded yet. I guess the *main* reason is that the bug it fixes is rather small and doesn't affect the majority of users. I've also been pretty flat out for the last 4 or 5 months and haven't really had time to create, dissolve and test a new distribution package.

    Although the 'latest' version I've supplied people is 1.0.6, there hasn't been any other interim releases.. the update in version numbers have been for my own reference as I've been making other changes and improvements to the code. On reflection I probably would have (or should have) created 1.0.6 distribution package several months ago.. I simply didn't expect it to take me as long as it has with some of the later developments. Hindsight is 20/20

    As for the old/obsolete "AusPost" and "AustPost - Improved" modules, thanks for removing those, I'm sure it'll help avoid a lot of confusion.

    I will also add that these two modules are/were not related in any way (other than making use of the Australia Post quotation servers).

    The 'original' AusPost module (by Gerard Serna?) was broken (due to server changes) long before I created the "AustPost - Improved" code, and the AustPost - improved code got broken in September due to server/hosting issues beyond my control. Meanwhile, the fully functional ozpost module has been available since last February.

    In theory, I could have ported the broken part of the AustPost - Improved code over to the new servers, but as mentioned, I had been pretty flat out, and it took all my 'spare' time getting 'ozpost' wotking again.

    I know I don't really need to tell you (or justify the sequence of events to you), but felt that this short(?) summary would at least help you (and others) appreciate why there is a lot of apparent confusion, especially to those that don't frequent the forums on a regular basis.

    Bottom line: The current ozpost module available in the downloads section is fully functional. It does have a couple of known bugs, but these bugs will not affect the majority of users because it relates to a combination if shipping methods that are so rarely used it was almost six months before the problem was first reported.

    The next planned update is for early in the new year, with some significant improvements and additional shipping methods avaialabe.

    Cheers
    Rod
    Ozpost - The Ultimate Shipping module for Australian Merchants. Click these links for its Homepage, or Download from Zen-Cart.com.

  6. #396
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,883
    Plugin Contributions
    3

    Default Re: ozpost shipping module

    Quote Originally Posted by lotii10396 View Post
    to hear that it is no longer working correctly (by accident really) was pretty concerning.
    I wasn't happy about it either.

    Quote Originally Posted by lotii10396 View Post
    But this scenario with redundant modules is extremely troubling.
    As I've just stated in a post to DrByte, one of these redundant modules had nothing to do with me at all, yet that didn't stop people downloading it and coming to me for 'support' of it. All I could do is explain the situation as and when possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by lotii10396 View Post
    The AusPost - improved module is still available, listed as compliant with v1.3.8 AND seems to install & work fine with v1.3.8a - I know because I have it installed on a pre-production site.
    That module does actually still work, but it is no longer able to supply a complete set of quotes .. specifically it will stil lgive correct quotes for parcels, but not for any 'fixed cost' items, such as the prepaid satchels.

    The reason is, because that particular module requires access to two different servers for the different shipping methods. One of those servers no longer exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by lotii10396 View Post
    As having *some* experience in ecommerce IMHO anything to do with money needs to be pretty set-in-stone, so I see it as a *huge* flaw in the whole ZC logic to have redundant modules involved with financial calculations available that *look* to be compliant with the latest release. Imagine if one of the credit-card modules were to be totally compromised, surely the ZC team would *have* to remove it.
    I do agree, but it still must be kept in mind that the zencart team can only do so much, based on information that is made available to them.

    It is also a sticky situation in (for example) Gerard's "AusPost" contribution - That module had nothing to do with me, and my code could be seen as being in competiton with his (some parts of which probably are also still functional). So it isn't just not my place, but could also be seen as being ethically wrong to request that Gerads module be removed.

    Quote Originally Posted by lotii10396 View Post
    I hope that the Zen Cart team do indeed take this on-board. Sure, there are suggestive reasons why old code may still available to download (though overall I disagree), but surely there should be the capacity for the "owner" of the module to indicate to potential users that there are serious flaws with the code and inform the general public that is no longer being supported.
    The zencart team will do everything they can to ensure the integity of the zencart project - As has been noted, those older modules have now been deleted.

    Also, as per my previous paragraph, I am not the 'owner' of the older 'AusPost' module - my module origianally started out as an *alternative*. Even though the owner of the older module doesn't appear to be around any longer, it isn't *my* position to ask the zencart team to remove someone elses module.

    Quote Originally Posted by lotii10396 View Post
    Suggestion 1.

    I think an easy solution might be for the Zen Cart forum to have threads that are specific to each module and *only* contain information from the writers/owners/updaters of the code. Means that critical information is easy to find and gives end-users a clear date-stamped picture of the status of this module.
    We try (there is an 'official' ozpost threat, but that doesn't stop people starting different threads, and I won't ignore ozpost questions simply because they aren't asked in the official forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by lotii10396 View Post
    Suggestion 2.

    I think that you should consider charging an "optional" support fee for your code. Not sure if you can do this according to the ZC *laws*, but as this module is pretty mission-critical for my installs (I'm based in Unley, not far from you of course) I not only need it to work but need to know what issues are happening with it. So by being "registered" with you means that you would "most likely" email me with updates on the status of the module.
    This is under consideration ... in fact the next code update will also handle TNT shipping quotes (all being well) and for this part of the code to be made functional some sort of registration will be mandatory.

    Quote Originally Posted by lotii10396 View Post
    On a more technical side, can you give me any more detail as to why a server-change (yours or theirs?) is preventing the AusPost module from working properly?
    In simple terms, we lost access to our primary server due to 3rd party abuse, and this was one of the two servers needed to obtain a full set of quotes. Migrating and updating all of our data to a new server took several weeks, and because 'austPost - Improved' had been considered (by us) to have been obsolete for well over 9 months it wasn't exactly high on our list. The code for current 'ozpost' module was one of the FIRST things we restored.. this was back online within 24 hours. We then moved on to restoring our other essential services, and by that time it appeared that most store owners using the austPost module had noticed there were problems, and upgrated to the newer ozpost.

    By the time we'd recovered everything our logs showed only the odd request coming in the the AustPost module and I made the executive decision that it wasn't worth the time or effort to restore a little used and obsolete function.

    You, or your client must be one of those with the rare/odd requests :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by lotii10396 View Post
    The obvious reason I ask this is does the new OzPost module potentially suffer from the same issue?
    Any code that relies on 3rd party servers has some degree of risk involved that the server could unexpectadly dissapear, the ozpost servers are no exception. However, we have been running our servers since 1997 and in all that time this is the first serious outage that we've ever had. We have backups and redunancy in place to cater for most scenarios - and had we not considered 'AustPost - Improved' to be obsolete you probably wouldn't even have noticed these recent issues, so yes, it *could* happen again, but is it likely too? No. We relay on it ourselves, as to many of our web clients.

    Cheers
    Rod
    Ozpost - The Ultimate Shipping module for Australian Merchants. Click these links for its Homepage, or Download from Zen-Cart.com.

  7. #397
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    84
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: ozpost shipping module

    Been using ozpost for awhile now and i think its great! Thanks for the contribution of it.

    My question is during the checkout process i have noticed for some strange reason i am getting double days listed for eg.

    my shipping table reads this

    Regular Parcel 4 4 days Est Delivery (Includes $0.00 Packaging & Handling ).
    $7.15
    Registered Parcel 5 5 days Est Delivery (Includes $0.00 Packaging & Handling +$ 2.8 fee).
    $8.00
    Express Parcel 1 1 days Est Delivery (Includes $0.00 Packaging & Handling ).

    so i was just wondering where i can locate this specific PHP file to edit it maybe so it only displays 5 days , not 5 5 days ??

    Thanks
    Divine Jewellery - High Quality Fine Jewellery, With Less Expense!

  8. #398
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,883
    Plugin Contributions
    3

    Default Re: ozpost shipping module

    Quote Originally Posted by devinej1 View Post
    my shipping table reads this
    Regular Parcel 4 4 days Est Delivery (Includes $0.00 Packaging & Handling ).
    $7.15
    Registered Parcel 5 5 days Est Delivery (Includes $0.00 Packaging & Handling +$ 2.8 fee).
    $8.00
    Express Parcel 1 1 days Est Delivery (Includes $0.00 Packaging & Handling ).

    so i was just wondering where i can locate this specific PHP file to edit it maybe so it only displays 5 days , not 5 5 days ??

    Thanks
    It appears that you are missing one (or more) of the icon files, as the doubling up is a result of the ALT text being shown instead/as well.

    Solution1: Ensure you have the full set of icons (and they are located where the need to be).

    Solution2: In the admin/shipping/ozpost settings set the "show icons" option to either "no" or "methods only".

    Cheers
    Rod
    Ozpost - The Ultimate Shipping module for Australian Merchants. Click these links for its Homepage, or Download from Zen-Cart.com.

  9. #399
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    84
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: ozpost shipping module

    Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    It appears that you are missing one (or more) of the icon files, as the doubling up is a result of the ALT text being shown instead/as well.

    Solution1: Ensure you have the full set of icons (and they are located where the need to be).

    Solution2: In the admin/shipping/ozpost settings set the "show icons" option to either "no" or "methods only".

    Cheers
    Rod
    Worked a treat, Thanks for your quick response Rod. Highly appreciated

    Thanks!
    Divine Jewellery - High Quality Fine Jewellery, With Less Expense!

  10. #400
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    47
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: ozpost shipping module

    Thanks Rod for the comprehensive reply, and good to see such swift and sensible action from the Zen Cart team. I will switch from Austpost-Improved to your new Ozpost code and keep an eye out for the next release.

    As mentioned have a think about the registration side - I too are always time-short (aren't we all.....) so tend to be re-active rather than pro-active when it comes to code (ie dont change/update unless absolutely required) and being a Zen Cart install I can't justify spending too much of my time on the forums *unless* I am trying to sort a problem/add a new feature.

    So having critical emails sent to me is a blessing and I use it wherever possible.

    Cheers again, Adrian

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. USPS Shipping Module to Print Shipping Labels
    By HelenSama in forum Built-in Shipping and Payment Modules
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 8 Sep 2011, 03:17 PM
  2. Canadapost Shipping module and Dual Pricing module
    By oxxyfx in forum Addon Shipping Modules
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12 Feb 2009, 02:06 AM
  3. store pick-ip in ozpost shipping module
    By lazerweb in forum Addon Shipping Modules
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29 Jul 2008, 05:04 AM
  4. Clone a shipping module or define a new shipping attribute under table rate module?
    By meeven in forum Built-in Shipping and Payment Modules
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4 Sep 2007, 04:56 PM
  5. MZMT shipping module - Display Shipping Options based on Weight
    By DogTags in forum Addon Shipping Modules
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27 Feb 2007, 04:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •