Page 100 of 226 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 2252
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ozpost shipping module

Quote Originally Posted by robbie269 View Post
    Will I have to pay the monthly fee for both sites?
    If both stores have the same name then one fee will cover both.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Lissy View Post
    I'm running v2.0.6 and I'm not getting any messages telling me how long I have left.
    This was added in 2.0.8

I notice, though, that there's a message at the top telling me there's a version 2.0.8, so maybe I need to upgrade some more.
    Correct.

Another install I have which I still need to update there's no messages at all.
    This would probably be a V1.x.x installation.

I appreciate the reasons why you have chosen to make this a paid service, and will look into it myself, but there must be STACKS of people out there with this module installed who have no idea what's going on.
    I don't know about "Stacks" - but yes, I am quite aware that there will be a number of people that will be caught out by the recent changes.

I know I don't go into my ZC store every day to check the postage quotes are working!
    Which is why I have given two months free access... which I consider to be more than reasonable. Any merchant that doesn't routinely check all site functionality at least once a month is simply asking for trouble anyway.

I guess my point is - if your client base don't know what's happening, you're going to miss out on a lot of potential clients. I'm one,
    Correction... you WERE one, you aren't any longer ... :-)

and yet looking at this thread it doesn't seem that many people make it to this forum.
    This may well be true too - But what are the other options?

How many more don't even know they have a problem at this stage, or won't think to come here if they do?
    A certain number of your clients will be professional developers who keep their finger on the pulse, but there most also be plenty of novices like me who only run one or two sites and aren't exactly tech savvy and up to date with every change.
    This is one of the problems with the current methology - There is no easy way for me as a developer to communicate important changes to all users.

I started to address this issue almost two years ago with the release of V2.x.x, which as you have noticed, gives feedback as to when updates are available. Those that follow the upgrade path will be/are kept up to date with new changes.
    However, some people are still using V1.x.x (and even the no longer working "AustPost" module). I have no means of contacting them, and I suspect most of those stores have long been deserted anyway. Either way, how far back in time am I expected to go in order to cater to those completely out of touch?

I don't have any idea how you could make the changes known to current customers,
    At least this won't be an issue in the future... Not only will the current V2.x.x version control system keep users informed of any upgrades (when they access the module), the registration system will also provide a means to contact merchants via email about any updates.

A number of people have already asked for and/or suggested some kind of registration system for the sole purpose of keeping them updated, so this entire change has really just been a natural progression.

but it would be a shame if you don't because lots of people will be unaware
    It is only a matter of time before they do become aware. It may come as a bit of a surprise to some, but I still feel I have done all I be reasonably expected to do.

and you'll miss out on converting them to paying customers. But then again if you're okay with that, that's your choice!
    Well, yes, I am OK with it. At the moment I am pretty much single handledly supporting hundreds of users and getting pretty much nothing in return. I'm sure I'll be much happier with just a few paying customers to support, and I'd be a fool to expect to get rich out of this - All I'm aiming for is a little financial aid to help offset some of the time and effort involved.

If I happen to miss out on one or two possibly paying customers that haven't updated their store in the last two years then I'm probably on a good thing. :-)

And people who find out by accident down the track are possibly going to be very ticked off that their store has been dysfunctional for quite a while without any warning.
    I agree entirely .... but I think that is something I can live with. Besides, they probably wouldn't be any more ticked off than some others that ARE aware of the impending changes.

I can't please everyone, and I quite possibly haven't pleased anyone, but that doesn't change the fact that support does cost time (and money). In the early days people were appreciative of the acheivements made, these days, people expect it to be their right to get free service and free support, to the extent where they'll often get abusive if they don't get it. I don't want or need that any longer. ,

It really won't bother me if *no one* registers or supports the service because I really won't be any worse of than I am now. How could I be?

Cheers
    Rod

ps. A few people have already updated their registration, so 'no one' is a bit of an exaggeration..

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ttfan View Post
    Ok, at least I'm not imagening things... looks like the service IS now a paid addon.
    That wasn't what you originally asked.

Perhaps I should also point out that the module is listed on the Zen-Cart site as "Free Software Addons", which is a little misleading.
    The client software (module) is, and always will be 100% free. It has been released under GPL licence.

There is also a similar Free module for osCommerce, and another in the works for OpenCart ... more carts will follow.

Although I do understand that the author has put a lot of effort into this module, it is a little disappointing that it's no longer free, considering the whole Zen-Cart soft IS free.
    What about the PayPal modules? They are also Free, but you need to subscribe to the PayPal service in order to make use of them.

What about the Banking modules? Also Free, but you do need a suitable bank account to make use of them - All(?) banks have charges.

The ozpost shipping module is no different... it is Free, but you now need to subscribe to the service in order to use it.

For major online stores this cost may be insignificant,
    but I find the monthly fee quite steep...
    PM me the name of your store and how much you would consider to to be a reasonable payment.

a once-off fee I would consider to be more reasonable.
    The problem with 'once off' fees - is that it raises the issue of upgrades. If people don't upgrade they run the risk of running vulnerable/expoitable software, so to avoid this, the upgrade should ideally be free, but from a business sense that doesn't work unless the initial outlay is exhorbantly high so as to offset future development and upgrades. The idea of chargable upgrades does tend to work in many instances, but then it is no longer a 'once off' fee is it. I could push out a dozen upgrades a year just to get more 'upgrade fees'.

Perhaps a cut-down free version is an option, and those that want all the bells and whistles to pay for more?
    You've already got that.... When the registration expires, only the static rates will be used... That's a cut down version, isn't it? (Hey, it is better than not working at all).

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ozpost no longer free?

but since I only use a few of the options, $9.95pm seems a little steep for a low volume shop.
    This is akin to Staying in an expensive hotel and then asking for budget rates because you didn't use all of the amenities available to you, or only wanting to pay half price for a car because you only drive half the distance of everyone else.

Nonetheless, I'm flexible ... as per previous message, email me withj the name of your store and how much you think is reasonable and we'll see if we can come to some sort of agreement. (my acceptance of any offer is subject to any statistical data that I have available for your store).

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    You've already got that.... When the registration expires, only the static rates will be used... That's a cut down version, isn't it? (Hey, it is better than not working at all).

Cheers
    Rod
    Thanks for all your answers RodG!

Can you please explain this last bit? That does sound quite reasonable. Which rates are static?

At this point in time, I can get away with rates just based on weight, which is what I'm currently using in the OSC shop.

Plugin Contributions

Rod, can I pm you please? Your message box is full but I am having 60 extra days tacked on to the registration time - not what you will want. Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for all your answers RodG!

Can you please explain this last bit? That does sound quite reasonable. Which rates are static?
    Cost per kg / Cost per Item

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tpeck View Post
    Rod, can I pm you please? Your message box is full
    It wouldn't be if everyone read my tagline

but I am having 60 extra days tacked on to the registration time
    Shhh.... don't tell anyone else they'll want it too.

- not what you will want. Thanks.
    My way of saying thanks for the new icons. :-)

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Thanks mate! - mum's the word. I've emailed you about a coupla other things...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Cost per kg / Cost per Item
    Hmm Ok... not sure if that's a lot of use to most people... seems to allow only a single shipping cost for AU or the world...