Plugin Contributions

Default Need some SERIOUS direction! Can anyone help?

Hello,

All this jargon is very new to me. I am trying to do one thing. Place my logo into the header. I have now downloaded filezilla and a good text editor....read the forums and learned I have to open header.php in the editor under file: (includes/languages/english/)

Here's the real dumb newbie question that knows nothing about any of this!

Where do I find header.php in the editor? Do I have to create this file somehow? And how?

Where is the file: includes/languages/english/?
    Is it in my filezilla somewhere? Do I have to create this file somehow? And how do I do that?

I understand about dropping and dragging MY HEADER to this file...but do I have to change "create" a new file for MY HEADER for this program to understand it first? If so, how do I do that? Any direction would be helpful.

I'm so tired from spending hours searching and searching for these answers so anyone out there reading this is my last resort! Nothing in the forums tells anyone step by step how to "start from scratch" not knowing a thing!

Thanks!
    Windowla

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need some SERIOUS direction! Can anyone help?

If are just trying to change the zen cart logo for your own logo - go to includes | templates | custom_template * | images
    and upload your logo (named logo.gif)

That will replace the current logo with your own.

* You will need to create this folder - part of the overrides system, which is explained here:

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=36

Tina

Plugin Contributions

Let me make sure I understand this correctly...I looked at the link you sent me and it is confusing.

Am I supposed to create this file called: includes/languages/English/images? If so...where do I create this file? In my editor? Do I simply type in those words and save it as: logo? I am totally an idiot at this. I need a slap in the head or a gentle step by step walk through! I don't understand what it is I am EXACTLY supposed to do.

Say to me.."open this program" THEN "type in these words in this way" THEN "upload your photo like this" THEN "save it as that"....

....see what I mean? lol

Thanks if you can help me!

Windowla

Plugin Contributions

The images folder already exists you just need to upload the logo.gif and it will replace the one currently there.

You would use your FTP program Filezilla to open up the directory - For example in your public_html folder find the name of your store and open it and then simply follow the steps....Storename/includes/languages/english/header.php

I do not know if you are using a custom template but if you are and i do recommend it then it will contain an images folder and a logo.gif file which is the one you want to replace so you just open that folder and replace the image.

The above is just one example and trust me when i say there is a lot of work you need to do such as configuring your meta tags and if you are installing an SSL certificate which i do recommend then you need to configure another couple of files.

I really recommend buying the zencart manual...I did and it's a great help when you are beginning.

Plugin Contributions

Windowla, before you do anything, you need to create what's called a "custom template". This will allow you to "override" core files easily so there are no problems when it comes to next upgrading your site. If you do make any changes to your site, including adding your own logo, and you don't first set up a custom template, you will definitely regret it later. The good news is, once you set up your custom template, you should by then have an idea of the way that the files and folders are organised and how to "ftp" using FileZilla etc, and adding your own logo will then be easy. First, if you haven't already done so, download Zen Cart so you have all its files on your computer and just spend a bit of time browsing through them and getting familiar with the folders. Then follow this tutorial. It will instruct you to go to a certain folder, create a new folder, and copy and edit a few files. You can do this all in the Zen Cart file set that you downloaded. Read each step a few times to make sure you understand what you're doing. Then, when ready, connect with FileZilla to your server and upload your new custom template. It can all be a bit overwhelming at first but you'll quickly get the hang of things. Post back if there's something you don't understand when doing any of the above.