Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default FTP software recommendation

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a ftp program other than filezilla that i could use. I am unfortunately am having lots of issues with filezilla...i keep get 'timed out' or 'directory not listing' responses and it keeps blocking my ip from my website. I was told it may be due to the settings I was using, but not sure how to figure this out. I put in my site address, user name, pass and port #... not sure besides that what else i can do.

anyway, thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Michele

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: FTP software recommendation

Try WinSCP

Plugin Contributions

will give it a shot...thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Well, I'd really really recommend that you have Firefox as a browser because:

- it has an add on which is called fireFTP which is a simple but effective ftp program that works in the browser window.

- there is an add-on called web developer toobar which is pretty much invaluable for working on sites in general but is particularly great with Zen Cart

- there is and add-on called firebug which is a more advanced tool for analyzing sites and css which again can be a life saver.

Firefox is a free download for windows, mac and linux. You should have it anyway as it accounts for a good percentage of the market these days and its share is increasing.

Nik

Plugin Contributions

thanks for the recommendations niccol. I actually have used firefox quite a bit and really like it (better than IE i think). Didn't know about their ftp software, though. definitely excited to check it out.

right now i'm trying out the winSCP as previously suggested. It seems to work a lot slower than filezilla but it's not timing out yet! which is a good sign!

thanks again!

Plugin Contributions

well the fireFTP add-on works well for me. It is produced by one guy and is freeware but he asks that if you like it you make a small donation to a children's charity that he supports. Which I think is a pretty cool way of releasing software.......

Plugin Contributions

guess I'll try that one instead. winSCP just timed out on me...ugh! not sure why this is happening.

let's home fireFTP works for me too

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Um ... if you have multiple FTP programs which are timing out ... then ... just maybe the problem isn't the FTP software ... ?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

that's what I'm figuring...although I have no idea what may be causing the issue. have a feeling it's a firewall issue. thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Try setting your client to use "passive FTP"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast