Plugin Contributions

Default Will Zencart tick all my boxes?

Hello folks,

I'm currently looking for an ecommerce solution to replace my existing store. I purchased an out of the box solution a few years ago that uses perl scripts, and it's always been a bit problematic. Since moving to new hosting, the cart is even more eratic!

So it's time for a change and hopefully something more stable.

I've discovered Zencart and and see that it uses php combined with a MySQL database. I think that this platform may work better for me as I'm already running php scripts lnked to databases without any problems.

Just a couple of questions though before I download and roll my sleeves up.

1. How customizable is Zencart? My current store can viewed at this url: http://www.magicalwonders.com/acatalog/index.shtml
    It took a long time to make the store seamless with the rest of the site, and next time around I will opt to make the rest of the site match the store! However, I would like to establish custom header, sidebars and footer. Is this reasonably straightforward with Zencart?

2. I need to be able to specify shipping of products by weight and destination. So I need a system that can calculate total weight of order and then charge postage accordingly depending on where it is being sent. Can I do this with Zencart?

Hope someone can advise.

Many thanks,

Myles

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Will Zencart tick all my boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by magicalwonders View Post

and next time around I will opt to make the rest of the site match the store!
    You're on the right track there. Zencart is intended to be your site, and is as customizable as your imagination allows. Most find that an HTML site with Zencart added on isn't necessary.

There's a learning curve involved with Zencart, as with any software, but it's not as steep as some. Be sure to read the Tutorilas/FAQ thoroughly, especially the ones about creating your custom template, and EZ pages.

Your shipping requirements are built in.

An experienced Zencart hand could pretty much duplicate the look of your current site in a few hours. Like most Web software, it's pretty much header - three columns - footer.

BTW - thanks very much for making your audio welcome message opt-in. Blaring noise on load is one of my pet peeves.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the response Steve,

It sounds like Zencart will be worth taking a look at. I've had a look at the Wiki documentation, but I've not been able to find any downloadable manual. I'm guessing there isn't one?

Sorry to be the cause of one of your pet peeves with my opt in page audio. It shouldn't be that loud, unless you have your volume jacked up. I appreciate the feedback though, as it never occured to me that it might be annoying. When I get time. I'll turn it off!

Many thanks,

Myles

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by magicalwonders View Post
    Thanks for the response Steve,

It sounds like Zencart will be worth taking a look at. I've had a look at the Wiki documentation, but I've not been able to find any downloadable manual. I'm guessing there isn't one?

Sorry to be the cause of one of your pet peeves with my opt in page audio. It shouldn't be that loud, unless you have your volume jacked up. I appreciate the feedback though, as it never occured to me that it might be annoying. When I get time. I'll turn it off!

Many thanks,

Myles
    No, I wasn't being sarcastic - I meant 'thank you' for giving me the opportunity to hear your audio without forcing it on me on page load as so many other sites do.

There isn't a compiled, free Zencart manual. There is The Book, ad for which is above.

Plugin Contributions

Hello Myles

No question about it... zencart will be a good platform for your site. The forum is well-liked by zencart "newbies" as it's known to be very well supported. My advice would be to load up the software in another directory on your server and give it a go.

ZC is one of the few opensource offerings with a comprehensive book written about it, as Steve has indicated. (I refer to my copy often and I've been using ZC for 5 years.)
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    No, I wasn't being sarcastic - I meant 'thank you' for giving me the opportunity to hear your audio without forcing it on me on page load as so many other sites do..
    Ah, I misunderstood, as my "free stuff" opt in page does have audio on load. Or at least it did. I've now turned it off! lol

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    No question about it... zencart will be a good platform for your site. The forum is well-liked by zencart "newbies" as it's known to be very well supported. My advice would be to load up the software in another directory on your server and give it a go.
    Will do. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have a play with it over the next few days. Expect to see some posts from me if I get stuck!

Thanks guys,

Myles

P.S. I saw the book which is quite expensive. However, I'll get it if I stick with Zencart. I'm sure it's well worth it. Plus the forum seems very friendly and helpful.
    Last edited by magicalwonders; 9 Jun 2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Extra comment added as PS