Default Visible Stock levels using Attributes

Hello, When using attributes I'm wondering if there is a way to allow the actual stock quantaties to be visible to the customer to save them adding an out of stock item? Obviously I could delete that particular variant but doing that makes for a lot of work with a large stock level!

Here's an example of mine http://www.thefairtradefaerie.co.uk/...roducts_id=196 and this is an example of what I'm wanting to achieve

Rose Dust [0 in stock]
    Spring Crocus [2 in stock]
    Royal Lilac [2 in stock]
    Raspberry Sorbet [0 in stock]
    Aurora Red [3 in stock]
    Chili Pepper [3 in stock]
    Bluebell [0 in stock]
    Agate Green [4 in stock]
    Shitake [3 in stock]
    Daiquiri Green [3 in stock]

Sorry it's long winded, but I'm new to all this....
    Susie

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Visible Stock levels using Attributes

I have the EXACT same question! All I can say is this should be easier to figure out considering how basic a demand it is.
    There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't.

Plugin Contributions

This question has been done to death in the Stock by Attributes support thread, where are references to a solution for the single attribute case that SusieTFTF gives as an example.

Once you move beyond a single attribute per product ... well being basic and being easy aren't necessarily the same thing!
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

I believe I've found the answer here:

http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=310

Done to death, yes... Still a patch and not a cart fix though.
    There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't.

Quote Originally Posted by lawrance View Post
    I believe I've found the answer here:

http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=310

Done to death, yes... Still a patch and not a cart fix though.
    Many thanks Lawrence, I have this already, and in back end admin works fine. What I'm after is a visible stock level in my actual shop front. I have spent a long while reading the attribute support thread, and the zen book but it's very difficult for a beginner to browse through hundreds of replies in one thread/topic to find an answer when you're actually unsure of the correct wording to the question and the answers are not obvious . This is a better example of what I want to achieve http://www.scotiafairtrade.com/raw-s...am-p-3942.html

Susie
    Last edited by SusieTFTF; 14 Jun 2009 at 08:24 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by SusieTFTF View Post
    Many thanks Lawrence, I have this already, and in back end admin works fine. What I'm after is a visible stock level in my actual shop front. I have spent a long while reading the attribute support thread, and the zen book but it's very difficult for a beginner to browse through hundreds of replies in one thread/topic to find an answer when you're actually unsure of the correct wording to the question and the answers are not obvious . This is a better example of what I want to achieve http://www.scotiafairtrade.com/raw-s...am-p-3942.html

Susie
    Hi I'm afraid I can't helpbut what you are attepting is fantastic and if you get an answer I would love to hear it to

Plugin Contributions

database error Re: Visible Stock levels using Attributes

If this subject has been "talked to death" in the forums, then there must not be a solution to this issue of showing current stock levels for a given attribute. Or else, I believe there would be a FAQ somewhere addressing this issue. I have searched the FAQs and read forum posts. I hate coming to forums before searching for the answer myself. I have not bought the book because I need to get the store online and making money before I can afford the book. But, from what I have read, the answer is not in the book either.

(I know someone will make the argument that if I cannot afford $30 for a manual, then I should not be complaining about a feature it covers. Maybe they can afford to loan me the $30, but I really cannot afford it right now. Beside, if it were in the book, I think someone would have said something about it. I have not read all the forum posts, but I think I have read a substantial number enough to feel like I am correct.)

So, anyway, it appears that there is no way to have one listing, with one attribute name, with several values, showing the stock level of each value, to the website visitor.

For example:
    [FONT="Fixedsys"]
    Bed sheets:
    Size.... - Price - InStock
    King.... - $40 - 15
    Queen... - $30 - 8
    Standard - $20 - 10
    [/FONT]

Maybe a bingo chart is in order when there are 2 attributes.

[FONT="Fixedsys"]
    Bedsheets InStock (Price)
    Color/Size - King.... - Queen... - Standard
    Red....... - 05 ($45) - 02 ($40) - 09 ($35)
    Green..... - 02 ($40) - 05 ($35) - 07 ($30)
    Blue...... - 10 ($35) - 10 ($30) - 10 ($25)
    [/FONT]

See how I snuck in the varying prices!

Off hand, I am not sure how more attributes would be handled, but I imagine it would get a lot more complicated.

So, for now, I suppose the only way the customer can see the instock quantity is to list each product size individually? Whew! A lot of work entering inventory!

If I am wrong, and there is a solution, please at least say something like: YES, I have seen a solution, even if you do not remember where you saw the solution of letting customers see on the website how much inventory of a particular attribute(s) is in stock. Then, at least there would be hope, and a lot more searching.

Thanks to the Zencart folks for a terrific piece of free software. I am not complaining about the lack of this feature, but am hopeful it will someday be implemented.

Plugin Contributions

See the 2nd FAQ on the mod's wiki page for a pointer in the case where no product has more than one attribute, and this one that briefly explains why a generic solution is much more difficult (I think rayl has more than an inkling about this too).
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Quote Originally Posted by SusieTFTF View Post

Susie
    Hi there. I'm the owner of the website you've referenced. I have the Stock by Attributes module installed (can't remember which version) and I found out how to display attribute stock quantities from the following post:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=485

It's a little complicated but the post has all the instructions you need to show stock levels for products that have single attributes with multiple values (don't know about multiple attributes). It will work for dropdowns (see http://www.scotiafairtrade.com/natur...ks-p-3700.html) as well as radio buttons.