Thread: Database Huge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Database Huge

Regarding the debugger problem, I tried it also in the catalog includes/extra_configures folder, still no log in the cache folder.

Maybe I just think the permissions are set right for the cache folder, I'm pretty fuzzy & green in that area. This is a WAMP localhost, running on a Vista OS. I checked the permissions by checking the properties of the cache folder, and selecting the Security tab. For each of Authenticated Users, System & Adminstrators it showed full control. Is that right? Or should I look somewhere else?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Sorry, I can't help with WAMP or Vista issues. Dealing with a live webserver is much easier in many cases.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Sorry, I can't help with WAMP or Vista issues. Dealing with a live webserver is much easier in many cases.
    OK, thanks, anyway ...

However, I took the debugging tool to our least busy shop and tried it. Still no work. The cache folder permissions were set at 755. Is the debugging tool supposed to log anything but errors? If not, maybe I didn't get any errors, and that's why there was no log.

So as long as that was off the burner, I went ahead and tried the Email Archive Manager there as well. And it works there! Pretty nifty little add on, it has some search capability that will come in handy, as well as the archive trimmer. So, I installed it where I needed it and it appears to be just what we needed.

If you can answer that question about whether the debugger logs anything but errors, I'd appreciate. And I thank you for your help.

B.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The debug log utility can only log details if the folder is writable. 755 may or may not be enough, depending on your server configuration.
    It ONLY logs PHP errors ... ie: errors that occur in PHP scripts. That's all it's designed for.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Makes sense, thinking about it. Thanks much, it's appreciated.

B.

Plugin Contributions

I read this thread with great interest. I also have a huge database at the moment, all on the e-mails which have been sent out to customers. The e-mails consist of the following:

• Welcome messages to the new customers
    • The orders from Zen Cart
    • The orders through PayPal (I get two notices, one from PayPal and one from Zen Cart...that has been a good thing)
    • Tell a friend

My question goes like this:

1. Will it hurt me to delete any of those? Bad things like: customer's accounts getting wiped out? Records of their purchases purged? Or will there be no repercussions if I erase that information and I am just a paranoid.
    2. Is there a faster way to delete any non necessary e-mails than the e-mail archive manager? It looks like that add on only lets you delete them one at a time. Great but I am a high volume site and so a bulk way to delete would be appreciated.

I do download all of my orders into my e-mail program (Thunderbird) and then back it up on my terabyte backup drive. I also print them out on paper. The paranoid backup system.

I just don't want to merrily delete all the Create Account e-mails, and order e-mails, and order confirmation and new order e-mails and find out that I deleted all of my customers or something just because I didn't ask.

Thank you for giving me the answer to the question.
    The Zen of cat.

Plugin Contributions

The whole purpose of the email archiving as I understand it is to keep track of email back and fourth with the customers if you don't save the emails on your email server or your computer. The question is do you need to archive every welcome email, or order confirmation email or such emails. I guess it is up-to you.

I do using archiving for email but I usually purge them every 2 or 3 weeks.

If you have a large database then you might not want to archive any emails. I have more than 100K products and use the email archiving with no problem it only use like 20Kb a month.

Plugin Contributions

Oh, hmmm. I just didn't think much about it at all...that is until it turned up on my web host's dashboard as a problem. Way of the world.

So, you just go in there and purge it once a fortnight. You don't lose any customer information and it doesn't cause trouble somewhere else? I suspect that is what the effect is but (because this was kind of a surprise problem) I wanted to ask first before I purge.

Also, do you use myPhp to mass delete? If so, how? I went in there and there was a tab to empty but I didn't use it. I use 1and 1 as my host.
    The Zen of cat.

Plugin Contributions

You can use the email archive manager found here to trim the database based on date or you can use myphp but you have to know what you are doing if you choose to use myphp.
    Personally I use myphp all the time to mass update my large store.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12