Plugin Contributions

help question Why does it not work? Please help!

Hi,

My site folder is based in www/html/...

My domain was not active so I used the url supplied until it was transfered.

It has now been transfered so I needed to know hoe to get my home page/site to the holding page, this got sorted by a redirect from the hosting company.

I don't understand though how to get both the site and the admin working under my domain as usualy you would place your domainname in the server names in the configure files, is this correct? then the others in admin configure?

So everytime I do this my admin goes down and my site screws or I keep my site and the admin screws up as it wont let me past the login?

Please help I don't understand what I am doing wrong here and what does the ~ mean when its in front of say as an example /~username/catalog/????

I would more than greatly appreciate some help and advice here PLEASE!!!

thanks all
    Paul

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Why does it not work? Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by pasb View Post
    Hi,

My site folder is based in www/html/...

My domain was not active so I used the url supplied until it was transfered.

It has now been transfered so I needed to know hoe to get my home page/site to the holding page, this got sorted by a redirect from the hosting company.
    A badly written redirect command can cause all sorts of problems. It is best if they can be avoided.

I don't understand though how to get both the site and the admin working under my domain as usualy you would place your domainname in the server names in the configure files, is this correct? then the others in admin configure?
    The domain name (servername) should be the same in both files.

Please help I don't understand what I am doing wrong here
    THe fist thing I'd be doing is to verify that your ISP has indeed put in a redirect, and if so, have them remove it and set your "document root' to be where your zencart files are located (unless you wish to also have non-zencart pages for your domain as well).

what does the ~ mean when its in front of say as an example /~username/catalog/????
    The "~" is a server variable that translates to the physical directory for where the users home directory is located on the server.
    If 'expanded' the full directory path would be something like

/home/username or
    /var/www/username or
    /home/users/a/username or any one of any number of other variations.

The purpose is so that if the sysadmin need to relocate the home directories for any reason the users themselves won't generally need to change anything.. the "~" will always resolve to their their own home directory.

I would more than greatly appreciate some help and advice here PLEASE!!!

thanks all
    Paul
    It would probably be best for you to work with your ISP on this one.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: Why does it not work? Please help!

Hi RodG,

A massive cheers and thank you, for your help!

One thing is that the redirect has had to stay, as they have said [FONT=&quot]

"Sorry, there isnt really a way to change the DocumentRoot of the site by editing the apache configuration file as it would get overwritten during every site edit. The only possible solution is to get it redirected using .htaccess."

and that changing this to not overite would mess up the admin control pannel!

So anyway its working and I hope it stays that way now

Your help has been greatly received and gave me the info to relay back to them and after a few attempts we got there "I DO HOPE"

cheers
    Paul
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Why does it not work? Please help!

If you want your Zen Cart directly in your web address (not under /shop/ or whatever), you can move the installation to the web root. It's pretty simple; you just have to take care to do it completely, and change several lines in /includes/configure.php and /admin/includes/configure.php to match the new path. See the tutorials on moving your site to a new folder.