Plugin Contributions

Default Read FAQ, searched Web, tried it all, still a blank page

Hello,

I posted this a while back at the end of another thread, but I guess that thread was too old and/or nobody has looked at it since then, so I'm starting a new one and will paste my post below:

Hello-
    I hate to be a "me too"'er but I've been getting a blank page on attempting to upgrade from 1.3.7 to 1.3.8 as well...

My blanky is appearing after I click on Update Database Now on the screen which shows the options of which version to update into which other version. The script has correctly identified my desire to update from 1.3.7 to 1.3.8 and has auto-checked that checkbox. I have verified that my user/password are a valid 1.3.7 store admin user/password.

Having read the FAQ and the sticky post for this forum, I have recently re-uploaded each file of the 1.3.8 version, going through directory by (sub)directory and uploading/overwriting the files found in each (using CoreFTP).

I installed the Debug Error-Logging Utility but no log file is being written (I verified that the 'cache' folder is set to 777). I even tried the option to show errors onscreen, but none are being shown.

Below is a copy-paste from the System Inspection screen. Should I be concerned about the MySQL Version?:

Previous Zen Cart™ Installation Found
    Database appears to be Zen Cart™ v1.3.7

# Webserver = Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.8
    # HTTP Host = [URL removed by me for security]
    # Path_Translated = /home/brads/public_html/catalog09/zc_install/index.php(SCRIPT_FILENAME)
    # Real Path = /home/brads/public_html/catalog09
    # Server Free Disk Space = 30.34 GB
    # PHP O/S = Linux
    # PHP API Mode = apache2handler
    # PHP Max Execution Time per page = 60
    # Register Globals = OFF
    # MySQL Support = ON
    # MySQL Version = 5.0.77-community Click here for more info
    # PHP Version = 5.2.8
    # PHP Safe Mode = OFF
    # PHP Sessions Support = ON
    # PHP Session.AutoStart = OFF
    # PHP session.use_trans_sid = OFF
    # Current SQL Cache Folder = /home/brads/public_html/catalog09/cache -->Writeable
    # Suggested SQL Cache Folder = /home/brads/public_html/catalog09/cache
    # PHP magic_quotes_runtime setting = OFF
    # PHP magic_quotes_sybase setting = OFF
    # PHP GD Support = ON
    # GD Version = GD bundled (2.0.34 compatible)
    # PHP ZLIB Compression Support = ON
    # PHP OpenSSL Support = ON
    # PHP cURL Support = ON
    # CURL NON-SSL Capability = Okay
    # CURL SSL Capability = Okay
    # PHP Upload Support = ON upload_max_filesize=300M; post_max_size=300M
    # PHP Upload TMP dir =

* includes/configure.php = Writeable
    * admin/includes/configure.php = Writeable

* cache = OK
    * images = OK
    * includes/languages/english/html_includes = OK
    * media = OK
    * pub = OK
    * admin/backups = OK
    * admin/images/graphs = OK

I hope I haven't overlooked something in the FAQs or other posts I've read because I'd hate to look stupid, but on the other hand I'm hoping it IS something simple as this type of work is not my full-time gig. I tried Googling for things like "zen cart 'update database now' blank page" but I feel like I've tried the proposed solutions I found, to no avail.

I have tried looking through the configure.php files to see if I accidentally "broke" anything i.e. deleted a quotation mark or something, as well as going through one of the few files I've actually modified (the basic Defines for "Welcome to our shop" text changes). Everything seemed in order, which is why I've come to this step: posting on the forum.

Any suggestions for what I should try next?

Thanks,
    James

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Read FAQ, searched Web, tried it all, still a blank page

You are showing:
    # Path_Translated = /home/brads/public_html/catalog09/zc_install/index.php(SCRIPT_FILENAME)
    What do you mean by:
    (SCRIPT_FILENAME)
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Hello, and thanks for your response!

That's a direct copy-and-paste from the System Inspection page (after clicking on the "agree" radio button and then clicking on the Continue button vis-a-vis the License Confirmation page). The only info I changed after pasting the text is the URL of the "HTTP Host" which I redacted for security purposes as I've seen others do.

This is the first upgrade I have done, so if that piece of text, "(SCRIPT_FILENAME)," is not supposed to actually appear there then I was, until now, unaware of that.

After looking around for a bit (though you may have already guessed, being more familiar with the file system than I am), I found that in the file zc_install/includes/modules/pages/inspect/header_php.php there appears this code:

//General info
    $status_check[] = array('Importance' => 'Info', 'Title' => LABEL_HTTP_HOST, 'Status' => $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'], 'Class' => 'NA', 'HelpURL' =>'', 'HelpLabel'=>'');
    $path_trans = @$_SERVER['PATH_TRANSLATED'];
    $path_trans_display = $path_trans;
    if (empty($path_trans)) {
    $path_trans_display = $_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'] . '(SCRIPT_FILENAME)';
    $path_trans = $_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'];
    }

I'm no PHP expert but it looks like the text "(SCRIPT_FILENAME)" is being concatenated to the end of the Path Translated info because $path_trans is empty, and in the statement above which sets the value of $path_trans is an "@" whose function I am unaware of. Do you see any issue here or am I barking up the wrong tree? I have not made any changes to this page... in fact this is the first time I've opened it, after looking around for that mysterious "(SCRIPT_FILENAME)" text.

Thanks again,
    James

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You are correct about how the SCRIPT_FILENAME text is added. But that's completely irrelevant to the problem you described.

Are there any "zcInstallxxxxxxx.xxx" files in your /cache/ folder? If so, what's in them?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Something else to consider:

- if you renamed you Admin dir. then rename it back to 'admin' -- changing your config file accordingly

- have you checked you Hosting account Error logs to see if anything relevant is shown

Plugin Contributions

I took a look at the items you both noted, and while I don't have my notes with me at the moment I can tell you what I recall.

I had left the admin folder named as-is ('admin'). The only server error noted in the log after making another attempt at doing the upgrade was that a favicon.ico file was not found. Also, I made this upgrade attempt at a different computer and with a different browser (IE, though I don't know which version) and instead of just a blank page I got a 500 Internal Server Error page.

There was an Install Log file written, and everything was NA or OK except for three warnings: one for the MySQL issue which I believe is the same issue I mentioned earlier, and two others which I'm afraid I can't recall at the moment. I'll have to get back once I have my notes available. However, they WERE only Warns and not errors - of that I'm sure.

Thanks much again for everyone's assistance.
    James

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The '500 error' should have its cause explained in the webserver's apache errorlog, which you should (hopefully) be able to view via your hosting company's control panel.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I checked the error log again, and still the only error being noted is the inability to locate a favicon:
    [Tue Aug 04 16:11:05 2009] [error] [client 67.100.###.###] File does not exist: /home/brads/public_html/catalog09/zc_install/favicon.ico

The following are the WARNs from the install log:
    WARN: MySQL Version => 5.0.81-community
    WARN: PHP open_basedir restrictions => /home/brads/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp
    WARN: PHP Output Buffering (gzip) => OFF

I would be surprised if the process was failing due to a missing favicon, so I guess I'm hoping that one of these warnings is more than just a warning.

Alternatively, is it possible to "clean-install" 1.3.8, and then transfer over the data from the 1.3.7 database via some other process (as opposed to the installer's upgrade mechanism)?

Thanks,
    James

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I've sent you a PM.