Plugin Contributions

help question How to use PayPal for non-credit card transactions only?

Hi all,

I'm on ZenCart 1.3.8a. I've searched around the PayPal forums and read many posts about people getting PayPal credit card transactions to work, but no-one seems to be asking what I am. Pointers to relevant posts welcome.

I'm setting the site up for a non-techie customer - he runs a UK based shop and I manage the website for him. He currently accepts credit card payments for UK customers only, using the ProtX payment module. He now wants to be able to accept international orders, initially from Europe, but does NOT trust credit card payments from abroad because the customer address cannot be verified.

He wants to accept PayPal transactions, but only payments from a PayPal account. He does NOT want to use PayPal to process credit card transactions. I've been reading the PayPal site docs and feel that we do not want Payflow, or even most of the Website Payments Pro options, because they are all geared towards accepting customer credit cards.

So, simple question: how can I use ZenCart's payment modules to accept payment via PayPal accounts without allowing any credit card related transactions via PayPal?

Second question: how can I keep the PayPal interaction entirely on the Zen Cart site, without navigating the user to PayPal's servers?

I have set up the default PayPal modules, "Express Checkout" and "Website Payments Pro", and also the PayFlow one from http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...988#post481988. I cannot see how to disallow credit card transactions.

A basic Express Checkout procedure takes the customer to the PayPal server (where I have a customised template with our logo, great, but we don't want to leave our Zen Cart at all). Perhaps I misunderstand something about the default payment modules, but they don't seem to allow me to conduct the entire transaction from our site.

We would like to keep our ProtX integration, because it works and he can enforce his own Terms and Conditions on customers (PayPal t's and c's are too customer-friendly for our liking). Our intended model is:

- Credit card payments only from UK customers, not international ones.
    - PayPal payments from any customers, but only PayPal accounts, no credit card transactions.

I started looking at the PayPal HTTPS SDK to write my own PayPal integration but surely this is wasted effort.

Any advice gratefully received :)
    Nick

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to use PayPal for non-credit card transactions only?

PayPal doesn't let you restrict customers' methods of payment. If you offer PayPal, you offer the ability to pay from paypal funds, from bank account, and from credit cards. It's all or nothing.

The only way to have PayPal handle your transactions without leaving your site is to use their gateway: Payments Pro or Payflow Pro. Both of those are credit card modules, but work with Express Checkout if you want to take PayPal too.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to use PayPal for non-credit card transactions only?

Thanks for the quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    PayPal doesn't let you restrict customers' methods of payment. If you offer PayPal, you offer the ability to pay from paypal funds, from bank account, and from credit cards. It's all or nothing.
    That seems rather restrictive! And a real blow for us.

Since posting, I've discovered the basic payment module "PayPal IPN", which simply takes the customer to the PayPal site for login. I only have a single paypal account which is my merchant account, I'll have to sign up for another to see what the paypal site offers.

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    The only way to have PayPal handle your transactions without leaving your site is to use their gateway: Payments Pro or Payflow Pro. Both of those are credit card modules, but work with Express Checkout if you want to take PayPal too.
    From what you say, the paypal site will allow credit card payment, even using the basic PayPal IPN payment module. So we're fairly well stuffed.

I shall report the findings to the shop owner and see what he wants to do. Our main problem with international (non-UK) customers paying via protx, as I understand it, is that their delivery address cannot be confirmed. Perhaps we can get around this somehow and simply use protx for all our customers.

Thanks again
    Nick