Plugin Contributions

Default Truck Freight Shipping

This has been asked a couple of times but I never found a clear cut answer.

Most of our products are shipped UPS but we have some that are only shipped truck. I have set up my UPS shipping to be weight based since I thought that since the truck stuff was heavy it would calculate enough in shipping to cover the cost.

Unfortunately that is not always the case. Some stuff ships freight so that UPS can't trash it! Or it is hazardous material that will only go truck.

I am looking for a way to flag the truck freight items that will disable UPS shipping and only show a Truck Freight price.

I tried setting up an attribute for Truck Freight which showed in the product page that "This item ships Truck Only" and added $75.00 to the cost of the product but on check out it is still displaying the UPS pricing which I think is quite confusing. If I set the product to be Free Shipping and let the attribute price the shipping that blasted FREE SHIPPING icon shows up. I can't change the FREE SHIPPING icon because we use it also!

Is there a way to make another CheckBox like the Free Shipping Box that will disable shipping for that product and show a graphic saying Truck Shipping Only.

It seems like a simple solution and I wouldn't think that would be to difficult to do but I am not a coder so everything is difficult for me. I am not able to find a mod (free or commercial) that does this. An older post suggested using the Gift Wrapping Module but I can not figure out WHY?

Any help would be appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Truck Freight Shipping

Nobody has this problem nor a remedy!! Wow..

Plugin Contributions

Is there anything that identifies these Products for the freight shipping?

Model or Master Category or do they not yet have something that makes them unique?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

There is nothing that identifies them as truck freight.

I have a spreadsheet from our vendor specifying what is truck freight shipped and what is not. There may be light weight items that can not ship UPS to very height weight items that are over a cost threshold that gives us free shipping which we would pass along to our customer, so I can not identify them as any particular classification.

I am hoping I can add something to the product, much like the Free Shipping checkbox that will override all other shipping modules.

I tried creating a Freight Shipping attribute which added money to the product but all the other shipping choices came up which were a lot cheaper!

Any thoughts? This seems to be a common problem alot of ZenCart merchants are having.

Plugin Contributions

You could add a new field to the products table for something like:
    products_ships_freight

similar to how the product_is_always_free_shipping field ...

Now, if a Product is flagged as products_ships_freight = 1, what should happen on the shipping because of this?

1 What happens when the only Products in the cart are products_ships_freight = 1

2 What happens when there is a Mixed group of Products where some are products_ships_freight = 1 and some are products_ships_freight = 0 ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

You might try freightapi.com.

Plugin Contributions

Linda... yes that is what I would like to see on the product page. When the Freight = 1 I want it to charge a set price, say $75.00, for freight and bypass all the other Shipping options. That will be the only one shipping available during checkout.

Generally our customers only buy 1 item but in the event they buy something else I can take that small Shipping Fee hit. It is better then shipping costing me more then the customer pays which is happening now.

Plugin Contributions

Then the next step is to add a new field to the products table for the:
    products_ships_freight

One way to do this is to search via the Developers Tool Kit in the bottom input box for:
    always_free_shipping

select Admin and click search ...

Do not be overwhelmed by the results ... take your time to see which really apply to adding, editing and updating a product ...

For comparison search on:
    product_is_call

that might help you get a feel for the place to customize ...

If you totally get lost there is always the Commercial Help Wanted ... but search the forum and there should be references to adding new fields to the products table ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

This thread, but search for others, might be of help on how to do it or at least what files to touch:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...field+products
    Linda McGrath