Plugin Contributions

bug Problems after upgrading

i'm having some issues installing the 1.3.8 patch too. i installed my local version of zen cart a while ago, i think 1.3.6. so i followed the 1.3.x instructions to change the admin folder name before beginning the upgrade and it worked, i could see the admin panel behind my new and secret-squirrel admin folder name (and no, i won't tell it to you here).

then i applied the update files to their respective directories. i caught the warning about modifying the right html_output.php and didn't think i had made any changes to it, so i replaced that file with the 1.3.8 version too. when i next tried to load my admin screen, it was just blank. i verified/changed the permissions to be read-only on the configure.php files and loaded it again. the title of the page loads in the browser tab, but the page is still blank.

*sigh* this is why i prefer to stay on the front end of applications.

i went out to my host installation of zencart which i had not yet modified (at all) and grabbed both html_output.php files in case i had replaced the wrong one. i noticed that my version on my host was already 1.3.8. still the same behavior. dang.

so... any advice? i can still see the changes i've made to the front end of the store locally (colors, fonts logos, etc), so most of my work might not be for not.

i appreciate all the answers and troubleshooting suggestions i've gotten from these forums and the readme files included with the 1.3.8 update.

thanks! - fontaholic

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problems after patching

just a little more info... i didn't lose any data and i'm open to just wiping this local installation if that's the best plan. it would be great if i could save the front-end work, but i remember it being pretty simple when i was able to take the time to do that a few months ago. what i was really hoping to get accomplished this week was patching and learning how to upload a bunch of products, but i'm stuck.... help!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If the front-end is working then there's likely no need to wipe anything out. That would be major overkill.

Renaming the admin folder is a simple process ... a couple edits to the correct configure.php file with a reliable editor and rename the folder.
    Applying the patch is also a simple process ... putting the 5 extracted files into the right folders.

Blank-page problems are almost always a result of a PHP error caused by using a bad editor, adding extra blank lines to the beginning or end of files, bad FTP uploads, incorrect edits to files thus causing syntax errors in the PHP code, etc.

Sometimes using the debug utility mentioned in the middle of this article can help: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=82

Your post started out with talking about v1.3.6 and then jumped to talking about 1.3.8. I'm not clear about what version *you* are actually using. And, if you decided to just dump v1.3.8 files on top of a v1.3.6 install, well, you've got some more work to do. https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=98

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Your post started out with talking about v1.3.6 and then jumped to talking about 1.3.8. I'm not clear about what version *you* are actually using. And, if you decided to just dump v1.3.8 files on top of a v1.3.6 install, well, you've got some more work to do. https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=98
    thanks for the response. i will read the debug link. to clarify my version challenge... the local install i did a few months ago was 1.3.6. my hosting company installed 1.3.8 recently and when i tried to apply the 1.3.x -> 1.3.8 patch to my local machine, is when all of this happened. i didn't think i modified the html_output file so i overwrote it with the one included in the patch. that's when i think the failure happened.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problems after upgrading

the debug tool gave me this:

[19-Aug-2009 14:48:33] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare zen_href_link() (previously declared in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/icwebstore/admin/includes/functions/html_output.php:28) in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/icwebstore/admin/includes/functions/extra_functions/html_output.php on line 73

(yes, my admin area has been renamed back to admin in an attempt to figure all of this out.)

line 73 is just a close bracket. oh no!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

There should be no html_output.php file in the "extra_functions" folder. Just in the "functions" folder.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

my hero! thank you. thank you. thank you!