Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Problem with Flash and the Vertical Multilevel Slideout Category Menu

Guys I got this working nice except for one problem. I have a flash image on my main page. When the user hovers over the catagory and the subcats slid out the ones next to the flash seem to fall behind teh flash and you cant see the subcat. How can I make this ontop of the flash image?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problem with Flash and the Vertical Multilevel Slideout Category Menu

A link to the site would be useful.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problem with Flash and the Vertical Multilevel Slideout Category Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CCMall View Post
    Guys I got this working nice except for one problem. I have a flash image on my main page. When the user hovers over the catagory and the subcats slid out the ones next to the flash seem to fall behind teh flash and you cant see the subcat. How can I make this ontop of the flash image?

Thanks
    "Layering" of components is controlled with a "z-index" qualification in your CSS file, against the element in question. The higher the z-index, the higher the layer of that component will be against others that also have a z-index.

But why "flash" ???

Flash is not rendered on all Apple hand-helds, and as the rate of use of hand-helds is growing exponentially, you are denying all visitors using Apple handhelds the experience of your flash components. Flash also tends to hog bandwidth, meaning that your page will take a long time to load on mobile devices - particularly those using G3 or slower technologies.

Flash is "old-fashioned" and if you are using it to "boast" of your creative prowess rather than add a critical component that has a business purpose, then you are just wasting your time.

Most animations are done using JS and Jquery these days... modern designers stopped using flash a long time ago.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

We recently introduced cross-device testing for all sites we develop and now have load-time benchmarks for this exercise.

If a site fails the test(s), we cull stuff until it passes.

As I said, growth in the use of hand-helds is rising exponentially. In February last year, just 17% of visitors on one of our more popular sites was using a hand-held device to visit the site. In February this year, the number has risen to 42%. We predict that by June this year, more than 50% of visitors to this site will be visiting on mobile devices.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

The flash was part of the set up I have. I will be changing it shortly but right now I'm more concentrated on the mechanics and loading products. Thanks I'll look at the z-index.

Plugin Contributions

I added z-index of 100 to the wrapper for the slid out menu, I also added a z-index of -1 to the wrapper holding the flash of the images. Neither moved the slider forward or the flash back.

The link to the page is: https://www.canyonscreekmall.com/store

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CCMall View Post
    I added z-index of 100 to the wrapper for the slid out menu, I also added a z-index of -1 to the wrapper holding the flash of the images. Neither moved the slider forward or the flash back.

The link to the page is: https://www.canyonscreekmall.com/store

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
    z-index works only where POSITION is declared, and besides... the element that needs bringing forward is:

.dhtmlgoodies_subMenu

CURRENTLY, this element is declared as:

.dhtmlgoodies_subMenu{
    visibility:hidden;
    position:absolute;
    overflow:hidden;
    border:1px solid #000;
    background-color:#FAFAFA;
    font-family:arial;
    text-align:left;

}

SO TRY THIS

.dhtmlgoodies_subMenu{
    visibility:hidden;
    position:absolute; z-index:1000;
    overflow:hidden;
    border:1px solid #000;
    background-color:#FAFAFA;
    font-family:arial;
    text-align:left;

}
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I also suspect that the stylesheet driving the menu is incorrectly named.

Yours is full of hyphens and may not be named correctly.

SEE the CSS_read_me.txt in the /classic/css/ folder.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I tried what was posted above, still did not work. I also went into stylesheet.css and added position:absolute; z-idex: -1; in the container holding the flash image. All that did was put get rid of the flash container. then changes the -1 to 1. All the products under the flash image fell behind the image.

I did another "inspect element" in chrome. According to that its calling the style sheet properly for the slide out.

has anyone else brought up my site ina browser? Is it doing the same thing on there browser?

www.canyonscreekmall.com/store

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

See my post #7 above.

I did what I suggested there, and it resolves the issue. So I don't know what you are doing, but it cannot be what I have suggested, because my suggestion does exactly what you are asking.

And the image "slider" you are using is actually not "flash"... it is a jquery slider.
    19 years a Zencart User

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast