Plugin Contributions

Default [Server Problem] Can't Login to Admin with Fresh Install

I thought I would give a quick recap of my resolution for admin login described in the following thread:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135979

There is a real issue with .htaccess file, need for it in both root of the server and in admin folder and for it to have correct coding so both IE and Firefox and different versions work correctly.

One solution was to add the following code:
    # to turn off session-trans-sid
    php_value session.use_trans_sid 0

That seems to work when trying to admin site in Firefox (latest version).

I had to clear cache and dump cookies and I was still only able to successfuly login with Firefox occassionally.

The package installs with "Recreate Session" under sessions tab in Admin as "True" When I reset it to false the admin login issue has completely disappeared.

In terms of Internet Explorer browser version 8.0 - with or without .htaccess file in place I'm only able to login once and then can never login again. I'm told by my server admin that there is inherent issue with IE8 with cache/cookies. There is a resolution but nobody seems to know exactly what that is.

As far as comment about web hosting services, this application is hosted on my server where we have dozens of other Zen Cart shopping carts for other customers running so we go to any lengths to support Zen Cart application.

The issue was resolved by adding .htaccess file and turning off "Recreate Sessions" in admin section.

To developers of Zen Cart - please consider adding .htaccess files to download with correct coding for IE as well and turn off "Recreate Sessions" in Admin Setup.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can't Login to Admin with Fresh Install

Quote Originally Posted by interactivewest View Post
    One solution was to add the following .htaccess code:
    # to turn off session-trans-sid
    php_value session.use_trans_sid 0
    To developers of Zen Cart - please consider adding .htaccess files to download
    No. Properly configuring your server to have the PHP use_trans_sid set to 0 is up to you. This fact is even mentioned specifically during the zc_install process on the System Inspection screen if it's detected to be on when it should be off.
    If you're on a server that requires you to always manually turn it off for your sites, you now have yourself a workaround.
    and turn off "Recreate Sessions" in Admin Setup.
    No. "Recreate Sessions" is a crucial security component. Turning that off will allow shoppers to come in on different zenid links, thus creating serious security problems on your site.
    If your server requires "Recreate Sessions" to be turned off in order to work, then you've got a server configuration problem of some sort, which may be related to SSL and/or domain recognition, amongst other things.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: [Server Problem] Can't Login to Admin with Fresh Install

How about turning off "Recreate Sessions" in configurations for download. Then we folks that can't login with current download can at least login and turn it on, once we have things configured and ready to go.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: [Server Problem] Can't Login to Admin with Fresh Install

It used to be turned off by default, and then the forum was filled with complaints that customers were seeing other customers' shopping sessions and personal details. So ... changing it back to that is not an option.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.