Thread: Starting again

Plugin Contributions

Default Starting again

Hi all,

Any help however small will be appreciated.

I have gotten to a stage with my zen cart that I think the only way to fix it is to start again.
    Is there a way to re install z/c without losing the template work and my product catalog??

I am desperate for some help here please....

Michaela
    Last edited by shiningfaery; 22 Sep 2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]www.shoe-addiction.co.uk[/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Starting again

Install your "new" Zen Cart in a separate folder with a separate database. After doing that, you can copy the information from the current Zen Cart into the new database (keeping your product and customer info) and you can copy your template folders into the new installation of Zen Cart.

Why do you think you need to install again?
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

The database and the files are separate components and (in general) replacing the FILES will not mess up the database.

You have to bear in mind the following:

If you have added additional modules, some of these MAY have required database "patches" - if you have installed any module that required you to "install a SQL patch", then your database will contain additional tables or fields that relate to that module.

Now, because a database is largely a STORAGE center, having additional tables that no longer have their corresponding "command files" is usually not serious.

If your "problems" are the "look and feel" of your store, then you should just consider modifying the template (and perhaps a few "switches" in the admin panel that get the database to render certain features and functions).

If you are having FUNCTION problems (things not behaving in a desired way), then Misty's advice is probably the best.

Bear in mind that if your current store is operational, it will be collecting data and recording customer transactions. Your NEW store will not be capturing any of that stuff as it has its own database.

The more activity that goes on in each store, the more the two databases will diverge. Later, when you want to "amalgamate" the best features of each store, you will have a really BIG challenge in getting everything from the two databases, back into one database.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by afo View Post
    Install your "new" Zen Cart in a separate folder with a separate database. After doing that, you can copy the information from the current Zen Cart into the new database (keeping your product and customer info) and you can copy your template folders into the new installation of Zen Cart.

Why do you think you need to install again?
    Basically I installed easy populate couldn't get it working correctly and since then the only thing I have done is change my password and the admin controls are not working. I make changes and they dont take effect, for instance tried to configure PayPal not saved and then tried to change my category setting no change.
    I did post regarding problem and it was suggested on another forum where someone else had similar problem to re load admin.

I dont know why the admin controls dont work I have changed any of the files other than above and no one so far has shed any light so the only thing I can think is to start again.

Plugin Contributions

Did you recently install the security patch? The symptoms you mention have been linked to incorrect patching.

Plugin Contributions

I havent installed any security patches and anytime I check for updates it states my version is current.

Plugin Contributions

Odd... unless you have the security patch installed correctly, you will get a big red notice at the top of your admin homepage.
    What version do you have? (Tools > Server/Version Info)

Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart 1.3.8a

Plugin Contributions

Also Like to add that I don't get any error messages on my admin home page.