Plugin Contributions

Default Prevent sales to a particular state due to sales tax requirements?

Zen 1.3.8. I live in AZ and do not have an AZ retail license. AZ law requires me to have a retail license to collect sales tax from sales to AZ customers. Because of the license requirements, I do not want to make any sales to AZ residents/AZ shipping addresses. Is there a way to prevent sales to AZ residents/AZ shipping addresses? Currently I email the AZ resident saying that I am sorry, but I cannot make a sale to anyone within the State Of Arizona and refund their payment. I would like to avoid this entirely. Any help??

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Prevent sales to a particular state due to sales tax requirements?

Wouldn't it be smarter to get "legal"?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

No. I've done "legal" before and it's a major PITA (monthly and 1/4ly reports, not to mention extra payments to my accountant to handle it). I'm a wholesaler and I sell retail on line with the exception of sales to AZ.

Plugin Contributions

You can go to Admin - Locations/Taxes - Zones and remove Arizona. That way, the customer won't be able to create an account if his address is there.

Does the law say you can't ship to AZ without a license, if the purchaser is in another state?

Plugin Contributions

Okay. Thanks.

No the law requires a sales tax license for sales from AZ merchants to AZ customers whether on line or in a store. It does NOT require a sales tax license (and all the necessary paperwork and reports) for sales from AZ merchants to out of state customers if the sale is made on line (internet).

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Plugin Contributions

I guess my question was about what the law says about Grandma in Michigan buying a product for (and having it shipped to) Timmy in Arizona.