Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default downloads, single product with multiple files

OK, how do I do this;

I have a product that is a 2 CD set, part1 and part2, but it is one item and is sold as such.

I want to have it as a downloadable MP3 but I want the customer to be able to select one item and then
    be able to download both files at checkout.

Right now I can only see a way to have one downloadable file associated with an attribute as an option,
    but not a way to have multiple files on one 'option'.

I could put both files into a single zip file but the problem is it would be far too large to be practical.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: downloads, single product with multiple files

Make two Download attributes ...

You might look at the Tutorials/FAQ on a search for: Dowload

One that might be of help is:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=71
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks,

OK, so it looks like there is no way to simply have one item, one click to add to cart and
    then have more than one download once they purchase the item.

It will require the customer to 'choose' two attribute options even though they are required
    halves of one whole

I know what's going to happen, people are not going to choose both parts when they buy the item and then
    they will email me later to ask why they only got part 1

And I cannot really blame them
    because it is not intuitive to have to tick several things when buying one item.

Plugin Contributions

Maybe one of us is missing something here ...

You have a Product ...

Fred Flintstone's ...

You have two Downloads:
    Download 1
    Download 2

You want those on the same Product ... correct?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    Maybe one of us is missing something here ...

You have a Product ...

Fred Flintstone's ...

You have two Downloads:
    Download 1
    Download 2

You want those on the same Product ... correct?

Yes, it is one product with the download split into two parts to make the downloads manageable.

I would like my customer to be able to just add the ONE item to their cart, just like a book or
    a CD and then when they checkout they get the two files to download.

I have done lots of attribute setups where you have a choice of different colours or flavours
    etc so I know how to set that up, make one the default etc.

This I would just like to be a 'no brainer' for the customer.

So I guess the question is, how can they just tick ONE thing to add it to their cart which will
    result in the 2 files being available to download?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If they buy the CD, are they supposed to automatically get the downloads available too?
    ie: they can't buy one without the other?

If that's the case, then just make them both separate Option Names, with only a single Option Value tied to them, and default both to be selected as default. If they're radio-buttons, then the customer can't deselect them, meaning they can't mess it up.
    Then, the add-to-cart click will put them in their cart as part of the product.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    If they buy the CD, are they supposed to automatically get the downloads available too?
    ie: they can't buy one without the other?

If that's the case, then just make them both separate Option Names, with only a single Option Value tied to them, and default both to be selected as default. If they're radio-buttons, then the customer can't deselect them, meaning they can't mess it up.
    Then, the add-to-cart click will put them in their cart as part of the product.

No, the downloadable items are separate products, it's just that this one is in two files.

I was just saying I want the customer to be able to add just the ONE item to their cart, just
    as they would if buying a book or a CD, ie: I do not want the customer to have to tick
    two attribute options.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by trillian View Post
    I was just saying I want the customer to be able to add just the ONE item to their cart, just
    as they would if buying a book or a CD, ie: I do not want the customer to have to tick
    two attribute options.
    Yes, I understand that part.

If they were getting the downloads automatically by buying the CD, then the 2 separate option names method would solve the problem.

Presently there's no built-in way to have one attribute checkbox add 2 attribute choices to the cart.
    You could probably add some custom javascript or jquery code to make that happen (ie: if one gets checked, the script auto-checks the other one for them).

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Yes, I understand that part.

If they were getting the downloads automatically by buying the CD, then the 2 separate option names method would solve the problem.

Hmmmm, you have lost me.

Why would that magically make it possible? If you cannot add two downloads with one click you cannot add two downloads regardless
    of whether they are supposed to get a physical CD or not, the idea of it being a CD is just a few lines of text in a product description.

If I can create two option names, each with an option value of a different download, such as;

download1 - part1
    download2 - part2

And if both can be made checked by default, then would that not work?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You have a product, right? A CD you're trying to sell.
    That's a *physical* product.

You also said that you want people to be able to buy EITHER the physical product OR the download, OR both.

Right?

If you want to allow them to select the download by checking a box, you can do that.
    You can even set up 2 attributes which are "checked" automatically just by visiting the product, before adding-to-cart.

BUT ... you said you want to make the customer have the CHOICE of choosing the Physical ONLY, or the Download ONLY, or both. That means you need to offer checkboxes for the physical and the download.

And, that would work FINE if you had only a single download file, because you'd simply set up a checkbox for download, and a checkbox for physical.

But, since you want to have TWO download files, AND you want to give the convenience of only checking ONE box to get BOTH download files, AND ALSO give them the option of NOT checking EITHER download box, that means you're asking to have TWO checkboxes for virtual, independant of the checkbox for physical. It doesn't work that way.

So, you have some options:
    a) give them 3 checkboxes: 1 for physical, and 1 for EACH download, perhaps adding some extra instructional text to hopefully help them not miss one
    b) option (a) above, and write some custom javascript to perhaps auto-check both download boxes if the customer checks either one, and vice-versa
    c) rewrite the whole download-file-attribute system to make 2 links instead of 1 in the order details whenever your particular product is purchased. Granted, that gets ultra complicated if you intend to apply that to more than just one product, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast