Plugin Contributions

Default Special Characters: umlauts translated?

I'm running a German / English version of 1.3.8 here in ... Germany. So there are special characters I am trying to code into the item descriptions, and Zen Cart keeps translating them when it should not.

For instance: ü . That's u umlout. The universal code way of writing that letter is
    Code:
    ü
    That needs to STAY written that way otherwise most browsers will simply see the special character ü and substitute a "?" for it or something maybe even more involved.

How can I adjust Zen Cart so it leaves the code alone ü in the description and does not change it into the actual character?
    thanks
    JSC, Boulder

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Special Characters: umlauts translated?

The same thing happens with, for example, the ampersand character. As far as I know, there is no solution.

What I do is edit in a programmer's text editor which will, of course, leave the code as code. Then, if I'm going to be using the same material again and again, I save the file there for future use. Later, having made any changes I want in that editor, I simply copy and paste into the product descriptions. Any such editor provides a much more congenial editing environment than the one in Zen Cart. And you can easily find one that is free or low-priced, if you don't have one already.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Special Characters: umlauts translated?

Well, I discovered my German version of Zen Cart has it's own special character code. Which it SOMETIMES substitutes and sometimes does not. I have taken to subbing the characters manually when it chooses not to do it by itself. The characters it uses on it's own, STAY PUT, and do not change, and appear exactly as they should when read by the browser, or maybe they get translated to appear in the source as correct. I don't know. Anyway, here they are in case anyone else needs this info:

ü ü
    ä ä
    ö ö
    ß ÃŸ

JSC, Boulder