Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Any way to start from scratch?

Please bear with me, I'm not exactly sure how to describe this...

I've managed to change the stylesheet enough to give this site, www.drhandsets.com a new look. Not sure I'll keep it, but it was good practice.

Something I've noticed though is that all the Zen stores and templates have a really boxy look to them and I'd like to have more flexibility in positioning and floats, etc.

The content files and the divs are kind of all over the place, so I am not sure it would even be possible to create a whole new layout from scratch. I'm thinking it's not, but I'd like someone to confirm that for me so I stop thinking about it.
    Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Any way to start from scratch?

Sorry, but it is completely possible to create a new template...
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Sure a new template is easy enough. I guess I didn't explain properly.

What I'd like to be able to do is create an entirely new layout from scratch. Not starting from any default_template stylesheet. That is what I am not sure is possible because of the vastness of the code. I want to position those divs whereever I want them, add divs without adding modules like blank_sidebox, etc.

I can't see for sure that anyone has done that.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, lots of people have done it. You just have to have a good grasp of html, css and php.

Plugin Contributions

I guess it's the php I'm lacking. Add another to my list of things to learn....

Plugin Contributions

Do you have a mockup of the design you'd like to use?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Kim,

No, not really. I didn't even know it was possible until an hour or so ago. It's just something I'd like to try.

Do you ask because you have a suggestion on how to get started? I am feeling overwhelmed and thinking that it might be better to start with Wordpress since it uses php, css and html, but it not quite as involved, but I am open to suggestions and thanks to all for your responses.

Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart is very flexible, but it does take a bit to get used to the override system. If you design a mockup, we can give you a better idea of how to proceed.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

If you are planning a cart and thinking Wordpress, you are REALLY in for a learning experience.

Seriously, why would you leave a cart, go to a program that is buggy, and then try to make a cart plugin work on the new program?

You said that you would need to learn PHP and you want to complicate it with starting out by learning in a "let's see if these two will work together" mode?

Get a copy of Firefox and the firebug add-on. Along with the Developer's Tool Kit in the admin, it will help you find and change any css controlled item.

What Kim was alluding to is that, if you had a layout of your dream site, you could find the id/class of the div and use the above mentioned tools to move them like you want them.

You can look at some that might be close at (sorry, site offline)

Hang in there, it's not really as bad as you think it is.

Plugin Contributions

Hi dbltoe,

I don't expect WP and Zen Cart to work together in any way. I just thought it might be easier to figure out how to start from scratch in WP and then take what I learn (regarding php) and go back to Zen Cart.

I love the web developer extension and I have used it to make my own templates (http://www.drhandsets.com/). Maybe I should select "Display Div order" and print it out.

What I'd love to be able to do is create divs and a stylesheet, then drop the Zen Cart content in just where I want it.

Yeah, I've looked at all those templates and have even used some in the past, but what I'd really like is something like this: http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile...213.css&page=0 . I know this design has nothing to do with Zen Cart (and it's a little over the top), but that's the kind of design I'd like to be able to create for Zen Cart.

I am sure you are right. I just need a design and I need to slog through it until I get it the way I want it. Every time I come up with something specific that I want, I realize that the stylesheet can do it, but the thing is so massive and it's easier to start from scratch rather than using someone else's work and having to figure it out.

Officially done whining

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast