Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Database problems

Hi Nick

Thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to help.

The site was hosted by a company who have been mentioned in several other threads on this site. Basically the site went down one day and we couldn't contact the hosts to get the site back up. We found another host and they managed to do a back up and transferred all the files so the site was up and running again, we didn't do any of it ourselves as we didn't know how to!

We switched hosts in Feb last year.

The new site is now hosted on a Plesk basis and although I have found the database on there, I cannot currently access that as that looks like it is password protected.

This is the info on the admin/configure.php

// define our database connection
    define('DB_TYPE', 'mysql');
    define('DB_PREFIX', '');
    define('DB_SERVER', 'localhost'); // eg, localhost - should not be empty
    define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', '****_****');
    define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', '****');
    define('DB_DATABASE', '****_****');
    define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false'); // use persistent connections?
    define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'db'); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'db'

and this is the info on admin/includes/configure.php

// define our database connection
    define('DB_TYPE', 'mysql');
    define('DB_PREFIX', '');
    define('DB_SERVER', '****.****.co.uk'); // eg, localhost - should not be empty
    define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', '********_****');
    define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', '*******');
    define('DB_DATABASE', '********_****');
    define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false'); // use persistent connections?
    define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'db'); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'db'

Does this info help at all?

Plugin Contributions

OK.

Well, the 'localhost' is a bit meaningless becuase that could be any host.

The other one on the other hand is specific to a host. Is this the new host or the old host? Do you know? Are you hosted by that company or is that the old company? It has the address of a hosting company after the first '.' and before the '.co.uk' so if this is the current hosting company then you should be able to tell us.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Nick

The first one is where I "think" the database still is. The second one is the host that we moved to. Like I said I cannot access the database with the new host because although I have found where it is it looks as though it is password protected.

Thank you again

Plugin Contributions

No, I don't think that can be the case. Localhost is not taking you off server. I think that you are mistaken about the site using the old database.

If you really want to check then I would contact your present hosting and ask them how to get to phpMyAdmin for your new database (they say they have 24/7 support). They say they do not use cPanel which is the most common control panel so I can't give you advice.

Once you get into phpMyAdmin making a small change to a product name (like adding an X to the end of the name) is easy. Then you can see if this change is reflected in the site. That way you have confirmed which database is being used. I'll put money on it being the new one!

Then you go back to the post by Afo. Both entries need to be the same. 'localhost' sometimes works where it isn't meant to but it directs to the localhost not a remote server. I have known that to happen on apache anyway.

So, the final step, once you have proved to yourself that it is the new database that is being used is to check with the hosting company exactly what the database address should be and make sure that both configure.php files reflect this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12