Plugin Contributions

red flag FedEx dropping API and switching to Web Services Method

I just got a call from FedEx informing me there are changes coming to their API - they are replacing it with a web services method. She didn't elaborate when this would happen or who it would affect, but I'm guessing the connection from Zen-Cart to FedEx may use this API to obtain rates, and that will cease when they drop API support for web services.

I checked and didn't find a thread on this subject, so wanted to bring it up now. I think the web services piece is in production now. For more information, the starting point within fedex is http://www.fedex.com/developer.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: FedEx dropping API and switching to Web Services Method

I too got the call on Dec 21st. I decided to investigate a bit and found your thread...have you discovered anything new?
    -Christopher

Plugin Contributions

I've not heard anything more (from FedEx or from others). I'm not sure exactly when this changes is to happen. I do hope someone is looking at the widget that links to FedEx from Zen Cart.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, this is a concern for me as well. The change takes place in 2011. I don't have any more details as to what services they are changing over to (xml, soap, etc).

Plugin Contributions

Received a telephone call from FedEx today concerning FedEx dropping API and switching to Web Services Method. This is the info I received from FedEx:

"Since FedEx Web Services was introduced in August 2007, the FedEx Ship Manager® API and FedEx Ship Manager® Direct solutions were placed in containment and no new services or features have been added. On May 31, 2012, FedEx will retire our legacy FedEx Ship Manager API and FedEx Ship Manager Direct backend systems. Customers that have not transitioned to FedEx Web Services or another FedEx electronic shipping solution by this date will not be able to submit FedEx Ship Manager API or FedEx Ship Manager Direct transactions through the FedEx systems. To ensure you have received proper notification and ample time to make the necessary changes to your systems, we are informing you three years prior to the end-of-life date as you will be required to update your applications."

I am not familiar with FedEx Web Services and do not know what will be needed to be done within ZenCart to be able to continue acquiring FedEx shipping quotes?

Plugin Contributions

Any one know about this FedEx Web Services? Is anyone working the PHP code needed? I got this off their website
    A technical support desk has been established to assist customers moving from FedEx Ship Manager API and FedEx Ship Manager Direct to FedEx Web Services. For pre-production technical questions, e-mail the support desk at MigrationWebSupport AT fedex DOT com.
    in looking at this snippet
    You can view a list of FedEx® Compatible Solutions Program providers and their supported certified FedEx technology solutions at FedEx Compatible Solutions Program site.
    Zen Cart is not listed but OS commerce is listed as having a solution. It will be a year and a half before the switch I was just wondering if anyone is working on a solution?
    Thanks Jim

Plugin Contributions

It looks like the FedEx changes won't occur until 2012-05-31. But after that the current API implementations will drop dead.

Here's a link to a page that describes the migration from the current "FedEx Ship Manager® API and FedEx Ship Manager® Direct solutions" to a new (since 2007) "FedEx Web Services" way of interfacing to them.

http://fedex.com/us/developer/product/migration.html
    Thanks,
    Tony Benedetti

Plugin Contributions

I haven't had the time to work on code changes for this new implementation. I have dropped out of the freelancing gig except for emergencies. I KNOW this will be considered an emergency in a year or so however. Hopefully someone with more time can make the code migration for the modules.