Plugin Contributions

Default what could cause zen cart to hang at chekout?

I am getting customers reporting that they cannot progress from step 2 of the checkout. They add the item to their cart and get the shipping method screen but then it will not progress to the payment screen, it just hangs on the same page. It will go back but not foreward in the chekout process.

The puzzling this is that I have put through several successful test orders so it seems to work for me and our webhost tech did not see a problem either.

So what could be causing this?

(and I know for a fact it is NOT user error or problems with the customer's computers because one of our staff was able to replicate the fault as well and I was able to see the fault myself once, so it seems to be an intermittant issue somehow).

Many Thanks,
    Trillian

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: what could cause zen cart to hang at chekout?

what do you have setup for shipping?
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

I am using the zone shipping module.

But as I say, I was able to duplicate the error myself using my own customer account. And now I was able to make several successful test orders. I have not changed anything with the shipping or payment modules.

Plugin Contributions

A customer just informed me that this was happening on one of the three carts I have on one VPS. I'm guessing the problem is with the VPS; but, I don't know where to look. I also wonder if it could be the connection to USPS?

I'm running fully patched Zen 1.3.8. I'm on a CentOS box with cPanel.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

What does "hang" mean? Does it mean you're getting a blank page? Or an error message? or what? https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=82
    Can you replicate the problem? Have you tried? What *exactly* is happening that's undesired?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I found the answer in a misconfigured iptable-based firewall script.

By hanging, I meant the progress bar spun until it quit trying and reloaded the page, with a small message (the fault of my css), indicating it couldn't receive a quote from usps.com.

In another life, when I was young and skinny, I was a professional classical ballet dancer. I was known to be able to quickly and efficiently solve the inevitable crises that happen during a live performance, without losing my head or missing a beat. Now that I'm teaching and doing this computer thing, a client has a problem and I start pulling my hair out and otherwise freaking out. It's fairly embarrassing.

Maybe others reading this will use me as an example and take a few breaths, calm down, and read everything on the screen.
    Posted via Mobile Device