Plugin Contributions

Default storepickup not behaving as needed

Hi,
    I am using the storepickup module and I have the local sales tax module installed (in a v1.3.8 store) and I need to modify storepickup to behave a bit differently than it does by default.

I think I somehow need to force the shipping address/zone to be the store address/zone so local sales tax is always applied when storepickup is selected as the shipping method, but I need to offer storepickup to all zones, not just the zone the store is in.

Currently if the shipping city is set to Aurora (as an example) and storepickup is selected, the local sales tax is not applied.

If I change the tax basis to 'Billing' and add a zone, then storepickup is not offered to any city except Denver. I still need to offer it to other cities.

My current config for storepickup:
    Code:
    Enable Store Pickup Shipping
    True

Shipping Cost

Tax Class
    --none--

Tax Basis
    Shipping

Shipping Zone
    --none--

Sort Order
    I hope this makes sense and someone can help me figure this out! Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by BassFace; 2 Jan 2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: clarity

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: storepickup not behaving as needed

As there isn't any tax on $0.00, are you perhaps wanting to change the way the Tax itself is charged against the Order Total as now the Order is being purchased where the Tax is charged? Or am I misunderstanding what you are doing here?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    As there isn't any tax on $0.00, are you perhaps wanting to change the way the Tax itself is charged against the Order Total as now the Order is being purchased where the Tax is charged? Or am I misunderstanding what you are doing here?
    It's confusing, so I'm probably not explaining it very well - . I'll try to be more clear.

The store is in Denver, any order shipped, delivered, or picked up within Denver has to have the local/city sales tax applied to the order total. There is no additional charge for store pickup, hence the $0.00 in the setup.

If an order is placed with store pickup as the shipping method the local Denver tax needs to be applied regardless of what the shipping address entered is.

So in the storepickup config, I chose shipping address as the basis for tax calculation, with no zone selected so it shows as an option for everyone. But then the Denver tax doesn't get calculated if another city is set as the shipping address (even though the order is going to be picked up at the store and not shipped). If I choose 'Billing' as the tax basis and select a zone for the storepickup module, then it would only show as an option for people in Denver.

I need a way to offer storepickup to everyone in all zones, but somehow make the module think Denver is always the shipping address so it calculates the local Denver tax.

Does that make better sense? Thanks Ajeh, for your continued assistance!

Plugin Contributions

The confusion lies in trying to make a shipping module control tax ...

That is not controlling tax in the manner you need it ...

The tax is based on the setting in the My Store for whether to look at Billing, Shipping or Store Address ...

The problem is, you need it to *not* look at the shipping address but rather assume the shipping address of the store ...

This is not built into Zen Cart, at this time ...

The code could be customized to manage this in several way, such as build a "Store Pickup" address for the customer to handle the checkout so that tax is now applied, regardless of the Customer's selected addresses ...

Or, some other kind of override on the Taxes based on the shipping being Store Pick Up ...

I have found it easier to build an address book entry for the customer when Store Pickup is selected and have a check to look for a pre-exsiting "Store Pickup" address for the customer and not allow this to either be changed or displayed, depending on how you want to manage the code ...

Now, what this does, is change the Delivery Address to the Store and the Tax is then applied correctly ...

This is not a hard thing to customize, but it is a lengthy process to write it but it does work well to manage the Tax issue for shops with Store Pickup ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    The problem is, you need it to *not* look at the shipping address but rather assume the shipping address of the store ...

This is not built into Zen Cart, at this time ...
    That leads me to a question: Why does a 'Store Pickup' module need a shipping address other than the store address anyway?
    That doesn't make sense to me.

But I'll work on modifying the storepickup.php (I assume) to get this working.

Plugin Contributions

Actually, you will probably find you need to do a lot of customization on the actual address being used so that the tax is based on a shipping address that matches the store address for the Tax to work ...

There are probably other methods, but the last one I used built a physical record in the address_book to be the Store Address for the customer and used that for the Shipping Address so that the Tax could be applied correctly ...

Let us know what you work out ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

I was really hoping to keep it simple (if it's at all possible, I really don't know yet) like doing a test for storepickup as the selected shipping module, and if that tests true, forcing a zone or a city, or whatever triggers the local tax mod to add local tax, somewhere (like in the order array) during the checkout process before the order total gets to the tax calculation. Guess I need to figure out how the checkout, order total, and tax calculation processes work first, though, huh. ugh