Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default For Windows 7 64-bit localhost setup - WAMP or XAMPP?

For Windows 7 64-bit localhost setup - WAMP or XAMPP?

Hi ~ I'm brand new to this, so please bear with me. I have a new computer with Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Edition. Many of the tutorials and answers I read here don't mention 32-bit or 64-bit, so I better ask before installing anything on my system.

My first question is, which of these is preferable, WAMP or XAMPP, for a 64-bit system? If it doesn't matter, which is 'easier' to set up for a novice?

I want to set up a localhost, and learn Zen Cart before I take it live to replace my old Frontpage websites. I've read that I must download and install either WAMP Server 2.0h or XAMPP 1.71 (both with PHP 5.29). Or, I can install the latest version of either WAMP or XAMPP and use the Zen Cart 1.3.8a patch in the Release Announcements to make it compatible with PHP 5.3. My current web host (OLM) supports PHP 5.3, so I guess that's what I better play with on my computer.

So, my second question is, do I install the patch immediately after intalling Zen Cart 1.3.8a, before even attempting to open it?

You can tell I know nothing about any of this. It's all very new and confusing to an old Frontpage user. Everything I read here seems like a foreign language to me. I ordered a copy of e-Start from lulu.com, but it hasn't arrived yet......and I know I have to keep reading here because the book is already outdated (I've downloaded and/or copied the book updates and corrections already.) I intend to learn by reading the book, the tutorials, and this forum from end to end, and try very hard not to be a pest with a million questions.

Thank you for your kind help,

Gail

p.s. I may, after 10 years, change my web host to one of the ones I've seen recommended on the zen-cart site if I have permission problems, but that's down the road a bit. I need to "learn" Zen Cart first.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: For Windows 7 64-bit localhost setup - WAMP or XAMPP?

Hi Moonlight,

I have a windows 7 system and I have just installed WAMP. I will set out the steps I used to install the localhost server and then zen cart.

1. Download WAMP from http://www.wampserver.com/en/download.php
    2. Install WAMP which is very user friendly
    3. Cliock on the start up icon on the desktop and then go to the WAMP server icon in the system tray and click on it and then click on PHP icon and go to version and the click on get more. This will open a browser and bring you to another downloads section on the WAMP website. Find PHP version 5.2.11 and download it and then install it. After it is installed go to the WAMP server icon in the system tray again and click it and go to PHP and Versions and select 5.2.11. Make sure to select Curl under PHP extensions as Zen cart needs this.
    4. Unzip the zen-cart files and then go to your c drive and click on WAMP and place the extracted zen-cart files in the WWW folder in their own folder named SHOP or what ever you want.
    5. open a browser and type http://localhost/SHOP/zc-install/ and begin your journey.

I hope I have made this clear enough.

Rottie

Plugin Contributions

Sorry Moonlight,

I forgot one very important step. Before you try to install zen-cart make sure to set up a new database for your shop using phpmyAdmin and write down the username, password and database name as you will need these when you go to install your shop.

Rottie

Plugin Contributions

Thank you, Rottie. I will follow your instructions, which are quite clear, indeed. I'm sure I'll catch on to all these strange programs eventually. I appreciate your response.

Oh, one question..... I actually type "localhost"? This is not a substitution word, like when someone writes username and you're supposed to put your actual user name there? (Sorry if that's a dumb question.) Thanks, again.

Gail

Plugin Contributions

Rottie, I notice you chose to install the older version of PHP, rather than 5.3, even though there is now a patch and tutorial for Zen Cart 1.3.8a to make it work with PHP 5.3? I'm curious, as my web host tech support says they have 5.3.

Does installing this patch greatly complicate matters? I don't want to set everything up, and then have Zen Cart look and/or act completely different once I upload everything to my website. I just want to do this install with the correct versions the first time. I guess this is all part of the learning process.

Once again, thank you.

Gail

p.s. I'm thinking maybe this was not the best time to quit smoking....

Plugin Contributions

On paid host, using PHP 5.3, latest zencart, with relevant patch works fine.
    Localhost on own home computer, running Windows 7, use WAMP Server Version 2.0h

Plugin Contributions

Hi Misty ~ Thank you for your response. I'll attempt to install WAMP 2.0h now, following Rottie's instructions. Then, on to Zen Cart installation. I'm really quite excited about this!

Thanks, again.

Gail

Plugin Contributions

Hi Moonlight,

Sorry , yes you can use the 5.3 version as long as you use the update for zen-cart. I still have 5.2.11 on my server and I presume most hosting packages still support this version. but misty is right and its best to use the most recent versions.
    Rottie

Plugin Contributions

I thought I would just continue this thread, rather than start a new one. I know this is a Zen-Cart forum, and these are WAMP questions, but you've been so helpful to this novice that I'm going to ask for more (unrelated to Zen-Cart) help. I really want to get to the actual Zen-Cart part of my journey.....

I've installed WAMP 2.0h, but I seem to be having two problems.

1. "Your PHP MySQL library version 5.0.51a differs from your MySQL server version 5.1.33. This may cause unpredictable behavior."

Where do I get the version I need, and how do I install it?

2. In PHP extensions, php_mcrypt is checked, but I still get get the warning "Cannot load mcrypt extension. Please check your PHP configuration".

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the first time I restarted WAMP and got that warning, I forgot to change from the default PHP 5.2.9-2 to PHP 5.2.11 before I went to extensions and checked php_mcrypt. When I realized I was in the wrong version, I changed to PHP 5.2.11 and checked php_mcrypt there, also. So now, both versions have it checked. I didn't see anything actually install, the check marks are just there. Did I confuse things by checking it in both versions?

Why doesn't WAMP recognize that they are checked, so supposedly installed?

3. How do I make WAMP default to PHP 5.2.11 instead of 5.2.9-2, so I don't have to keep remembering to switch versions every time I start the program?

Thank you to anyone who has the patience to walk me through this.

Gail

Plugin Contributions

Okay, please disregard questions 2 and 3. They seem to have worked themselves out.

As to question 1, I don't know what SQL to change, library version or server version, to match the other one.

I found mySQL 5.1.33 and mySQL 5.0.51a Community Editions on FileHippo. But, I don't know if they are the same thing, or which I need. What am I replacing?

I read (on some forum posts that also came up in my Google search) that 5.1 versions have bugs.

I'm so confused.....

Gail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast