For Windows 7 64-bit localhost setup - WAMP or XAMPP?

Hi ~ I'm brand new to this, so please bear with me. I have a new computer with Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Edition. Many of the tutorials and answers I read here don't mention 32-bit or 64-bit, so I better ask before installing anything on my system.

My first question is, which of these is preferable, WAMP or XAMPP, for a 64-bit system? If it doesn't matter, which is 'easier' to set up for a novice?

I want to set up a localhost, and learn Zen Cart before I take it live to replace my old Frontpage websites. I've read that I must download and install either WAMP Server 2.0h or XAMPP 1.71 (both with PHP 5.29). Or, I can install the latest version of either WAMP or XAMPP and use the Zen Cart 1.3.8a patch in the Release Announcements to make it compatible with PHP 5.3. My current web host (OLM) supports PHP 5.3, so I guess that's what I better play with on my computer.

So, my second question is, do I install the patch immediately after intalling Zen Cart 1.3.8a, before even attempting to open it?

You can tell I know nothing about any of this. It's all very new and confusing to an old Frontpage user. Everything I read here seems like a foreign language to me. I ordered a copy of e-Start from lulu.com, but it hasn't arrived yet......and I know I have to keep reading here because the book is already outdated (I've downloaded and/or copied the book updates and corrections already.) I intend to learn by reading the book, the tutorials, and this forum from end to end, and try very hard not to be a pest with a million questions.

Thank you for your kind help,

Gail

p.s. I may, after 10 years, change my web host to one of the ones I've seen recommended on the zen-cart site if I have permission problems, but that's down the road a bit. I need to "learn" Zen Cart first.